The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Race 1 where I do the 360 spin and fight back for 3rd place.

Race 2 where I battle Rob for 2nd.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Robert,
GRRREEEEAAAAATTTTTTTT SAVE! I'm impressed, 360 and back on track:)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thanks for posting Bob. I got to see Glen's dive bomb on Greg in T7 lap 1 race two. :D

Take a look at your pass on Roy race 1 lap1 at Zora's.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
I did. What's up? What do you see?
Bob,

I believe Brent sees that the pass was not consistent with our rather restrictive passing rules which are patterned after "vintage-type" racing -- the emphasis of our passing rules is to prevent contact rather than to adjudicate fault should contact occur. As a result, our somewhat unique "passing rules" make it quite difficult (not impossible :)) to make a pass under braking. We need more discussion on this topic at our drivers' meetings so we can all understand what's expected of us so we can all be playing under the same rules. Otherwise overly aggressive drivers get away with illegal passes on a regular basis until someone turns-in on them, bad for both cars. After all, we are racing for nothing more than a plastic trophy. :D

In your situation (same for Glen), it appears that you weren't clearly ahead of Roy at the turn-in point for that corner, so the apex belonged to Roy according to our passing rules.

Excerpts from our Rules:
1) "A pass is defined as being completed when the front bumper of the overtaking car breaks the plane of the front bumper of the overtaken car."

2) "In the corners, the car in the lead at the “turn in point” of a corner has the “right of way” to the apex. Overtaking drivers that “dive” into a corner late, after the turn in point, will likely be held responsible for any incident, regardless of whether or not the overtaking car’s front bumper broke the plane of the overtaken car, before contact was made."

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Points well made. I note that this is not a corner under braking, so I was not diving in late. I think the video shows that I had more speed on the run up, and you can see at 1:05 to 1:07 that Roy moves to the left to let me through, rather than moving right to apex. Had he done so, I would have back off. After the race Roy confirmed that he went wide to let me by.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Points well made. I note that this is not a corner under braking, so I was not diving in late. I think the video shows that I had more speed on the run up, and you can see at 1:05 to 1:07 that Roy moves to the left to let me through, rather than moving right to apex. Had he done so, I would have back off. After the race Roy confirmed that he went wide to let me by.
Bob,

By no means am I singling you out---I think many of us have indadvertedly breached our passing rules.

Looked to me like Roy was turning-in and your car had not broken the plane of his car before the turn-in point for that corner. If Roy did not go wide (as he did), contact was a distinct possibility. I also don't think you could have backed out of it to give the apex to Roy as you were committed and to do otherwise might have resulted in you spinning. IMHO, once you made the pass there, the proper course of conduct would have been to relinquish the spot to Roy and continue racing -- I'm pretty sure that you would have gotten by him soon thereafter. ;)

You were (and are) clearly faster than Roy -- I think the right place to pass him in this particular situation depicted in the video would have been on the straight right after that corner. Your apex/exit speed would have been greater at Zara's (assuming you left yourself some space to get the run on Roy) and you would have had no problem getting by him before Exit 28. Just my 2 cents.

These are the types of post-race discussions we all should be having as a group so all of us can improve our race craft consistent with the very restrictive passing rules of Lotus Cup. :shift:

Btw, nice videos and great driving! :clap::clap:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
This is a good example of the ambiguity of the rules. Whether it's a braking corner or not, a car that's being overtaken at this point has to decide whether to "shut the door" or not... if they're fully ahead at the turn-in point it is their prerogative.

If they do and the overtaking car cannot abort the pass, there may be a collision.

If they don't they have to compromise their line through the corner and inadvertently make the pass easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts