The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
No.

I'm old school, I like to be able to control wheelspin. :D

I driven a number of cars in anger with traction, yaw, anti-dumb-ass, controls. And, I have to say I don't enjoy driving them in that situation because it doesn't feel like I'm driving. What it feels like is playing GT3 or some other Video Driving game. I end up trying to maximize the performance of the computer, not the traction & performance of the vehicle.

It maybe in day-2-day driving that all this "stuff" is helpful and transparent. But, it's not when you're trying to get through a slalom or around a circuit.

This is not to say I won't own a car with all that stuff, it just won't be on the car I choose to take to the track or AutoX.

So, call me old-school... I like driving and when I drive I want to feel like I'm driving (not sitting in front of my TV with a vid game).

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nannies are the very reason the Elise is the only new car I would buy... and it is irritating enough that it has two (explosives for your face and ABS).

I have come to tolerate ABS in my old M3 because it won't come in until very, very late. I have not played with ABS in the Elise but hope it cuts in even later.

I satisified my craving for a new car 3 years ago by simply getting a se7en clone.

I reckon I can use the fuzzy logic computer in my nogin. I don't need external interference interfering with attempts to left foot brake etc.

There is someone on this forum that is intimate with Racelogic TC. He'll chime in if he wants to
m

·
Registered
49 Posts
Driving a 423 hp (at the wheel) turbo integra and spinning through the first three gears gives one the appreaciation of the racelogic traction control device and its capacities. The ability to adjust the wheel slippigage by a determined percentage allows for the best of both worlds. No slipage...you got it, 30% slipage....dial it in. What can you expect from a company which does F1 work.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ratooth said:
Driving a 423 hp (at the wheel) turbo integra and spinning through the first three gears gives one the appreaciation of the racelogic traction control device and its capacities. The ability to adjust the wheel slippigage by a determined percentage allows for the best of both worlds. No slipage...you got it, 30% slipage....dial it in. What can you expect from a company which does F1 work.
yeah its helpfull for supras also.

i was just wondering if anyone has already done it and could chime in.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
choi0706 said:
has anyone thought about getting trac control?
My car came factory equipped with traction control. It's called a gas pedal. ;)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Actually, so far, I don't think the Elise *needs* traction control. It would come in handy in wet conditions if you absolutely must drive your Elise then, but otherwise, it's just not needed. The car is very easy to drive fast, and traction does not seem to be an issue so far.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I really don't like traction control. Even the very advanced systems that are integrated by the OEM always feel clumsy and abrupt. Every once in a while I'll forget to turn the nanny off in a student's car (different from turning a student on the nanny's car...) and it always feels very weird, not to mention slow.

I can see using it as launch control in a powerful drag car. But even in that case I'd prefer the challenge of controlling the car myself.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No.

I already turn it off in my Mach 1. It's nearly killed me a couple of times (and a few times in my former 2003 SVT Cobra.) It always kicks-in when I LEAST want it (e.g. accelerating from a dead stop to merge with traffic, accelerating from a turn, etc.) PITA IMHO. If I want traction, I'll use my Audi A4 Quattro.

Bob

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I have the Race Logic Traction Control on my E30 M3. Can't use it for racing in my class, but the rest of the time it is terrific.

It's miles beyond the nanny / lawyer type TCs on new cars. Not at all the same. It's fully adjustable with dozens of parameters, can datalog your car to help fine tune it. You can even diagnose brake issues with the logger as it records wheelspeeds among other things. You program it with your lap top. They give you a base program and you use that or try to improve it. It has a knob to set the amount of slip from none (snow, heavy rain) to some to lots (drift). It even has launch control that is pretty sophisticated with launch RPM set points, detail about how much spin is allowed off the line and when TC will come back on, full throttle gear shifting and so forth. You can set it so that you never really feel it at all...you just find that there is more time for you to make a gas pedal correction. Or you can have it be more intrusive than OE units. It's cool on broken pavement with patches of good stuff along the path you are taking. It will ease off instantly on the bad stuff and provide power on the good stuff way faster than any human can react. Multiple times a second. It really is a neat unit. It interupts the drive to the fuel injectors...or spark with an add-on box. There are mutiple levels of cuts 4-5 altogether. All tuneable. It sounds like a misfire when it kicks in, but is very smooth.

I have autocrossed the Elise three times. The third time had a tight hairpin where a downshift to first was needed. On that turn only, I could get some wheelspin. But not too bad and no oversteer excess ensued. The other two autocrosses were basically 2nd gear everywhere after the initial 1-2 shift. No issues there at all using the LTS suspension. The Elise does not scream for an LSD the way some cars do. Rear heavy, plus no rear sway bar, plus sophisticated suspension => good grip.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i was thinking about getting it for rainy days or for safety..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
choi0706 said:
yeah i was thinking about getting it for rainy days or for safety..
That is called confidence with common sense.
If you're scared it will bite you, then it will be a self fulfilling prophesy.
Are you expecting a T/C system to protect you if you drive foolishly on a canyon road in the rain?

Your view of T/C sounds like something you need to protect you from yourself... kinda like the Govts view, your nanny.

Your view of T/C should be that it is something to use as an *edge*, to getting on the gas a wee bit sooner in controlled environs.
In my opinion it is the antithesis of what the Elise is all about.

m

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no , i was going to use it for performance reasons and safety. you never know if something unexpected happens. Besides i had it in my other cars, and theres nothing compared to this traction control system. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts