The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling my Elise over a year ago, I finally came back with an 07 Exige S. Unfortunately, the pedals weren't quite right for me. The previous owner had fitted an aftermarket gas pedal cover that was actually too wide for me, causing me to hit the gas while braking on track. Not good.

I came up with this solution. These work only on the 06+ drive-by-wire cars. The brake and clutch bolt on using the existing holes that the factory used to rivet the brake and clutch cover on with. I needed to drill the factory rivets out, and then enlarge the holes slightly. The new covers bolt on with machine screws and lock nuts. The pedals come with aluminum spacers for the brake pedal so you can fine tune the height relationship between the brake and gas. For my personal style, I needed to add some spacers under the brake pedal.

The gas pedal bolts on the same way as the brake and clutch, using the factory holes. The new gas pedal has multiple mounting holes that allow you to position it to the left or right slightly to furthur fine tune. Mine is bolted on in the middle position. (My factory gas pedal had holes drilled in it from the previous aftermarket pedal install.)

This solution needs no modification to the factory pedal covers, offers improved grip, and much better heel/toe positioning and fine tuning. I also think they look much better.

Sorry if I seem excited about pedals, but this is what I do. I also apologize if this seems like an ad, but I just want to let others know of this new solution.

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
wow, those are nice! The stock pedals look like junk. And the brake and throttle are too close together for my feet (I can only wear sneakers when driving the car). I would love replacements.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, those are nice! The stock pedals look like junk. And the brake and throttle are too close together for my feet (I can only wear sneakers when driving the car). I would love replacements.
I made the brake and clutch taper from top to bottom, so the bottom is actually very slightly narrower than the top. This helps with the angle for heel/toe, as well as allows more room for your left foot to sit on the footrest. Again, we're not talking about much.

The gas pedal is wider than stock. In the picture with the factory pedals in it, you can see that if you use the left most mounting holes, our gas pedal will still be closer to the brake than factory. When you say the brake and throttle are too close together, I have a feeling that if you raised the height of the brake pedal slightly you might not have that problem. I was hitting the gas while hard braking until I raised the brake pedal up. You can see the spacers in one of the pictures. I think I ended up with probably 1/2".

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is great, I have difficulty hitting both pedals for heel and toe and have been looking for a solution! I just place my order.:D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've been looking for a nice set of pedals to try. I'm ordering!!!
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I should get these in the mail this week! Don't know when I'll have time to put them on, but at least I'm gettin them this week!
Cool.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
why does DBW mean they forge/machine our pedals to look like crap?
The pedal assembly for '06 and beyond came from another car (A Vauxhall, I think).

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Got the pedals in the mail yesterday. Well packaged, come with screws, spacers and such. Nice quality. Looking forward to some time to put them on!

I really don't have problem heel/toe with the current setup, but this looks like it would be just that much easier, plus has multiple 'adjustments' that can be made...

And they look cool!
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just installed mine. Boy is that some tough @ss glue holding the old pedals on:wallbang:. I used a very large pair of channel locks and peeled the old pedals off from the top. Time to go for a drive:shift::D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Mr. OZ, did you use any spacers under the brake pedal?

I had visitors this past weekend, so didn't have time to install...

Let us know your thoughts after your drive! Love the idea they are so adjustable...
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mr. OZ, did you use any spacers under the brake pedal?

I had visitors this past weekend, so didn't have time to install...

Let us know your thoughts after your drive! Love the idea they are so adjustable...
Cheers,
Skottoman
I used one spacer under the brake pedal and put the throttle pedal all the way to the right. It's still closer to the brake than stock. Drives very nice, easier heel/toe, can't wait to get to the track.:clap:

Get a extra set of hands to install the bolts, getting under that dash is like playing a nightmare game of twister.:wallbang: The human body is not meant to bend in the position required to get those bolts in. Heading to the chiropracter now.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts