The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I know a lot of you guys have gone or are planning to go to the LA show. I haven't yet heard any word on racing stripes. Could someone please ask the powers that be if Lotus will offer racing stripes on the US cars?

If so please try to get detail as to prices and such.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Any decent body shop should be able to add stickers (racing stripes) to your car if Lotus doesn't offer them.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
meat said:
Any decent body shop should be able to add stickers (racing stripes) to your car if Lotus doesn't offer them.
I was thinking paint... I would rather have ordered that way, I don't want it to be done wrong.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There are a few places that make decals for the Mini - from what I've seen, some are hard to distinguish from paint until you get close. It may be the best (only?) solution. Hmm, now I'm thinking, silver stripes on MB? Gumballs for numbers on the doors? Great, more mental mods to do!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you have seen the Mini's out there with the stripes or the flag on the roof or the checkboard on the roof - they are all stickers.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Derek said:
But what about the letters?

http://www.uic-racing-team.ch/gall_t25_07.htm

This looks like paint to me.
Uh Derek.... He said MINI roof flags. You've showed a picture of a Lotus not a mini. It is in fact a European Lotus with Type25 paint job which is offered in Europe, just not here. This is real paint and real chrome letters. They don't offer any stripes in the Fed Elise yet. If you want them you can buy the BRG paint and do the stripes in yellow vinyl or go to a body shop and have them painted on.

Steve

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sownman said:
Uh Derek.... He said MINI roof flags. You've showed a picture of a Lotus not a mini. It is in fact a European Lotus with Type25 paint job which is offered in Europe, just not here. This is real paint and real chrome letters. They don't offer any stripes in the Fed Elise yet. If you want them you can buy the BRG paint and do the stripes in yellow vinyl or go to a body shop and have them painted on.

Steve
I know it's a Type-25 and that it is paint. There was talk that racing stripes might be available from
lotus, that's my point... I want them and I don't want to take my new car to a bodyshop for paint or to use stickers:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I e-mailed Clyde Shepherd on 12/23 to see if there was any update on the stripe issue.....Although I haven't heard back I am sure he is super busy with the show...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I didn't ask specifically about stripes from the factory, but I can tell you that in the Lotus display area, they have an artists' conception type sketch of the S2 Elise in Type 25 livery (Green/yellow stripes) - so, that should be an encouraging sign, yes ? Barring that, I'd agree that it should be an easy matter to add stripes later.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm betting stripes will be an option next year. Lotus doesn't want to give us everything fight off the bat (that goes against the product evolution theory). It wouldn't make good business sense.

Frankly, I'm surprised at all the options they've offered right off the bat. Colors, LSS, etc. Lotus could have easily offered 4 colors, one interior, one suspension, etc. and they still would have sold like hotcakes.

Next year...trust me...they'll offer it. I'll even bet a dollar on it...:D

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think you are right, but still hope they will do it this year - every extra-cost option will help in maintaining the MSRP given the poor value of the $. I believe that anyone on the fence about the hardtop would decide to go for the top if they were getting stripes, to complete the look....

·
Registered
788 Posts
I asked a Lotus rep at LA show, (I do not recall his name.. new head of sales I think) if they were considering type 25 stripes. He dryly replied that yes Lotus is considering them. Lotus has plenty on their plate with LSD and other issues and this is a back burner item. I agree next year they probably will offer it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GabbaGabbaHey said:
I asked a Lotus rep at LA show, (I do not recall his name.. new head of sales I think) if they were considering type 25 stripes. He dryly replied that yes Lotus is considering them. Lotus has plenty on their plate with LSD and other issues and this is a back burner item. I agree next year they probably will offer it.
Plenty on thier plate... The 111R has racing stripes as an option. How hard could it be for them to paint a couple stripes on a car?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The 111R is priced about 10k higher than our car, besides, things like racing striped etc. will slow down production.

Also, let Lotus get their foot in the door, I'm sure their'll be all kinds of neat things coming out in the second and third years.

The old KISS (keep it simple) applies here, let's get the cars.

Chris

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
meat said:
I was planning on doing this but just realized that the US cars will have LOTUS spelled out on the back of the car instead of having the round Lotus badge.

I'm afraid the stripes will cover some of the letters on the rear of the car, and it will just say L T S. Does anyone know if the lettering is just a decal or sticker that can be removed and reapplied. Wonder if Lotus could just delete the lettering on the back of the car and put a badge if I requested it. Or I could see if a graphics place could just make up an O and a S that matched the covered up letters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts