The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Goodwood FOS in a month, never been to UK before. Ocurred to me this AM that I usually carry a radar detector along when I'm using a rental car. But how useful or even legal would one be "across the pond?"

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just got back from a trip to the UK, a radar detector wouldn't be much use due to the large number of speed cameras everywhere. On certain highways they have "average speed" cameras that monitor the time it takes to travel several miles which combats drivers slowing down when they see a speed camera and then speeding up when they get past it.

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
^What he said. A well equipped Navi pays for itself in Europe. I spent about $500 (a lot compared to the $100 TomTom I had stateside) on a Navigon w/ programmed speed cams & it's paid for itself over & over again.

If you're partial to radar detectors, all US model V1's have a programmable EURO mode that supposebly tunes it to the camera frequencies. I have one but don't need it in Germany.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
HK has new unit that turn itself on instantly when you pass the bird cage, track your speed then off. So most of the detector won't work expect the Stinger. But Stinger is over USD3,000 -eek-:eek::mad:

So, if HK has this bird cage, UK should have it too.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been told it's just standard to receive a camera related ticket when you return home, regardless of how you drive. Just factor it into the trip. Wonder if those affect our US licenses and insurance?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't believe a speeding ticket in the UK will affect your US insurance rates. Bear in mind that UK speed cameras usually allow a 10% tolerance so in a 30 mph zone you could do 33 mph without a problem but doing 34 mph would probably get you a ticket. In this country you can usually do upto 7 or 8 mph over the limit without getting a ticket which is certainly more lenient.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got three speeding tickets on my last UK visit, all static cameras.

The registered keeper of the car you are driving recieves the tickets, he/she then has to prove he was not driving the car at the time of the offence.

The owner of the car I was driving had passed away so it went no further.

·
Registered
796 Posts
here you go. install this on your car. It is like what James Bond used on his car. I think 007 using it is the same approval in Britan as Chuck Norris giving it two thumbs up for America, right? ;-)

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
I've been told it's just standard to receive a camera related ticket when you return home, regardless of how you drive. Just factor it into the trip. Wonder if those affect our US licenses and insurance?
That has not been my experience. I returned from Scotland in April after driving about 1,200 miles over three or four days. No tickets this time or from any of my several other visits.

I'd opine that the UK generally has a different view on speeding than Americans. At least in the western U. S., the culture is that it is okay to speed if you don't get caught. In the U. K., my impression is that many view speeding as a moral offense. They sort of have a point ... many roads are narrow, twisty and often signed well over a safe and prudent speed. To top it off, you're on what is practically an island - it's not like you're really going any great distance where speeding will make a significant time difference. They also have a lot of tracks (old WWII airfields) for spirited driving.

All that said, when I was in the Highlands on a fairly straight road in good weather, a few locals would pass me about 10 MPH above the limit. I'd try to get out of the way whenever possible. Nobody likes tourists clogging up their daily commute: but I still stuck to the speed limits in most places. There were plenty of opportunities in the mountains to drive at the speed limit approaching what was a sane limit on public roads.

Glen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts