The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive never owned one. Surprisingly Ive never gotten a speeding ticket either. I seem to have a 6th sense when a cop is around the corner. Anyway Im looking to make a purchase and would like to get some input from what you guys use. I now have a half hour drive commute one way to work so I get a little driving time compared to my previous 8 minute drive. Lots of twists and turns but unfortuantely a lot of slow ass commuters that like doing 40 in a 50 so I tend to overtake. Bad thing is its a road used by the staties and DMV as Ive seen them quiet often. So what do you guys use for detectors? Likes and dislikes? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Like.

V1 with remote display mounted into the dash. It's saved me from some tickets. It's also let me know that I'm about to get a ticket.

Q

·
0 Posts
Lets see if the one dude that NEVER posts, and promotes his own radar detector site, surfaces.

LOL

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I love my V1, though I think you'd be happy with any detector in that price range. The directional arrows on the V1 are a really nice feature (though I rarely deal with radar from the side, usually it's telling me front or rear), as is the optional remote display module (my V1 is mounted between the seats, with the remote display module in the area under the stereo).

·
Registered
75 Posts
V1. Mine is mounted on the windshield for better reception but the wire is tucked around the window (hardwire kit) for with an option to use the remote display mounted inside the driver's side cubby. I only use the remote display on long drives at night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The V1 is the very best. I think it has won every comparison it was ever in (magazine-wise). And I know it's saved me on two occasions where there were two HP cars involved (and it let me know there was still a second car in front of me)...

The downside (to any radar detector) is that if you *do* get pulled over with one on display there is no hope that you'll talk your way out of the ticket. This provides a bit of an advantage to hidden ones like the K40 (with the two LEDs sunk somewhere in the dash), but it's not as good as the V1.

I know from experience about this, having sat through getting a ticket while staring at it on my visor, cursing its very existence and wondering what new-fangled thing the Kansas HP was using to get folks.

Turning it on, however, would likely have helped the most.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Having done 2 cross country rallies and plenty within FL, I definitely recommend the V1. When I went on the Cannonbal/Great American Run 2 years back, I'd say 90% of the drivers, especially all the seasoned ones, all had the Valentine. Here's my recommendation for setup on your vehicle as I had it on Blue Thunder and on my current Rossion:

- Valentine 1 (hardwired above the Rearview mirror right under the windshield/headliner)
- M25 (or most current) Laser Jammers (Double Front & Rear)
- GPS w/Njection software uploaded (Njection Brings Speed Trap and Red Light Data to Your GPS | Gadget Lab | Wired.com)

Anything else is already a bit overkill, but if interested, the final cap is a police scanner specially tuned to your region with automatic switching... honestly though, this is a pain in the ass with all the noise and squawking. Better to stick with the above and avoid the Geek syndrome (unless you're doing a Rally of course...).

·
Registered
403 Posts
i like my passport 8500...i never knew there was anything better. sounds like i might have to try the v1 though?

·
Registered
527 Posts
+1 V1

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I've owned all kinds of radar detectors, but now I rely on Trapster (an iPhone app). It is fantastic!

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I use the V1 in my Elise and the Passport in the rest of my cars. My sons have passports.

They are really close, but the V1 wins. YOu have to realize the using the V1 with its arrows....allows you to interpet the sounds from the Passport better.

I have the V1 and the laser shifter from passport. I will be putting the Blinder laser shifter on my Seven shortly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've compared them side by side...and

I choose the Passport.

The passport had a significantly better range in the test I did. (Distance from a standing police radar unit.) After using the two, I came to this conclusion:

The V1 is for people that polish their cars, have a bmw motorcycle, take showers, and love it when strangers want to come talk about the lotus.

The passport is for guys that want the most freeway range, ride a motorcycle without ABS, and would rather go-karting than go-golfing.

V1 guys please don't take any offense to this , I'll buy you a double hazelnut cappucino and make it all better.

cheers

·
Registered
826 Posts
v1 used to be the best....thats what I just told a friend. Then he went and did research and it looks like our beloved V1 has been outclassed by the BEL Sti Driver....

Take a quick google search for radar detector comparison and you'll see the BEL is now the top dog, king daddy, #1, A+

Now...GO BUY ONE AT MY WEBSITE!!

just kidding...but I'm serious about it trumping the V1

p.s. Trapster is a GREAT application.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Sorry dont agree that the Passport is better. I drive my Seven with the V1 and my son drives the Elise with the Passport. He is right behind me. We have driven almost 2K miles this year this way. Almost..not always...the V1 picks up the signal earlier.

We are connected by radios...so we talk all the time and keep track of this. Very rarely does the passport pick it up before the V1,

And we are taking in account the i am about 40 feet ahead most of the time.

The Passport is not that much worse however....Sometimes the V1 picks up stuff that the passwport missed entirely.

And...nothing compares to the arrows.

·
Registered
826 Posts
fine, i'll post the link

RadarTest.com - Best radar detector reviews from the world's most respected authority.

Valentine seems to be trapped in a time warp. Even the owner manual reflects 1980s thinking, replete with outdated statements such as "X-band [is] most common for moving and stationary [radar]." Huh? 48 of the 50 state highway patrols abandoned it years ago.

With an increasingly wide gap in the V1's level of sophistication compared to modern designs--not to mention a minimalist feature set, quirky ergonomics, an exceptionally chatty nature and stiff price tag--the competition has clearly passed it by

1 - 20 of 29 Posts