The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll bet if you got a black elise you would get away with a lot. The cops are pointing the gun probably over your head and the car's only mass of metal is behind you and a bunch of fiberglass. Run without a front plate would be even better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
is black less reflective for radar? i guess silver is the best reflector? still, it is so low and rakish at the front, you would think you would get a bit of help (maybe a few hundred feet?)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Buck, love the avatar. :)

In my MR-2, the front was low and sloped. Front end was plastic and rubber. No front plate. Driving down an open road, I noted an officer holding a radar gun, pointed right at me. Crap... I was going over 70mph on a road that was supposed to be 50mph.

I slowed down of course as I best I could, but I figured I was done for and was ready to be pulled over. To my surprise....he kept pointing the radar gun at me as I passed him and as In pulled away from him (now going the speed limit). He must not have been able to get a good reading as I approached.

At least that is what I figured.

I don't think color matters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Stealth FIghter

I'm not exactly the expert on radar but I think its based mostly on the angles and the material. Of course the stealth fighter is certainly black but that plane also has not one rounded surface on the entire body. I wonder if it has something to do with that, which would only mean that our S2 elise will be slightly better than those boys across the pond with the S1s. I sure do love the original round curves though.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Color has nothing to do with it. I believe it has something to do with frontal area, and angle. I big square semi will reflect radar back the best. I have a V1, but nothing for laser protection...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Radar signature is affected by a number of things:

Radar cross section (think target profile & size)
Material composition of target (composites help, as do absorbent coatings)
Target angle
Target motion

And that's about all the navy will allow me to say about that.

Vantage has got the right idea, though.

As far as police radar guns go... they're typical based on doppler shift. For example, when you listen to a race car going around a track, the pitch of the sound changes as the car gets closer to you. It's the same thing with sound above our audible range. (i.e. radar) The radar gun is bouncing waves off your car, then listening to the doppler shift that is returned, and determining your speed based on that. They actually use tuning forks to calibrate their guns.

Radar scramblers that are on the market receive the signal put out by the gun, then counter it by broadcasting a matching signal, but out of phase. It nullifies some of the return waves, and confuses the radar gun.

So the best way to avoid radar? Keep your eyes open and far down the road. You can usually spot the cops far in advance. Don't speed at night, you won't see them till it's too late. I don't use a detector or scrambler. However... all my tickets have been at night. :eek:

Hope this helps.

Cade

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Jammers are cool and so are other electronic counter measures. You could get the "Anti RADAR Missile" option. That way if they try to clock you... KABOOOM!!! They should have known better :)

I'm getting the "Phase Shifted Quantum Cloaking Device" option. That way not only will my car be totally invisible, but I'll be able to pass trough solid object to ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
i thought the radar scramblers didn't work with the new 'DSP' radar guns?

laser scrambers apparently do work.

can laser be used at night? do headlights screw it up?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It was my understanding that there were new types of scramblers that would work against the new guns. Honestly, I'm not 100% on that, though. If there isn't any out now, there will be... electromagnetic interference is fairly easy to generate. The problem will be seeing what other stuff it interferes with (cell phones, radios, etc). I don't know TOO much about laser, other than as another form of electronic emission. I do know that it would be difficult to jam, though not impossible. And we all know that once you're hit with it, it's too late for detection.

I know I sure wouldn't mind an ARM option... rearward firing, of course. Whoosh! BOOOM! Maybe we can see the demo in the next james bond flick.

Cade

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
drrjv said:
can laser be used at night? do headlights screw it up?
I see no reason why Lidar can't be used at night, other than it'd be harder to aim the gun (and thus easier to contest a ticket in court). I read that the early Lidar guns were thrown off by headlights but that newer ones aren't fooled by it.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
According to that article, black is the worst color for a car in terms of LIDAR detectability, because it reflects the least amount of sunlight (which is like ambient noise).

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Also according to the article, most laser operators will aim for the front license plate if there is one. With that in mind, why wouldn't people install their vanity plates at a downward angle to deflect the beam? That would prevent them from getting caught.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
And get a Valentine One....

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Randy Chase said:
And get a Valentine One....
I have a Passport 8500.... I know it doesn't work as well, but I just can't make myself buy a radar detector as big or ugly as the Valentine.... or made by a guy who's as goofy looking as Valentine is. Why the heck does he put himself in his ads, anyway?!? He really needs to invest in some good Industrial Design and Advertising.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MotorCade said:

I know I sure wouldn't mind an ARM option... rearward firing, of course.
rear firing sounds good but that might scorch paint, how about a vertical launch housing to first eject it with delayed ignition, that way you could do "over the shoulder" firing for targets in your six. You could have missile launchers in the side rocker panels ala "Viper" too I guess.
:D

·
Registered
156 Posts
FederalElise said:
yeah if you want to be undetected by laser, get mirrors around you car.
Then all laser would bounce back perfectly. =)

You want to send back as little light as possible.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Andreas said:
Then all laser would bounce back perfectly. =)

You want to send back as little light as possible.
Actually, from what I've understood, the mirrors would reflect ambient light, which would serve to corrupt the laser beam... so the more reflective the better, apparently.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts