Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Announcement: Driven Chat | Radford Returns — Driven

Lotus press release with a bit of Emira marketing: "The mid-engined two-seater coupe, with luxurious appointments befitting a high-end bespoke coachmaker, is powered by a 3.5-litre supercharged V6, shared with the 2022 Lotus Emira sports car." Lotus Radford Type 62-2 stars in TV special on Discovery - Lotus Cars Media Site

Going to use Amazon Prime's discovery+ free trial to watch the 1-time documentary special Radford Returns releasing this weekend:
Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Technology

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,533 Posts
In JPS livery this thing is just stupidly beautiful 😍 🏎💨
I second this! In fact, I'm almost glad that this thing isn't a trip-to-the-dealer-and-$150k away because I'm afraid I would move heaven and earth to work it out, financially. It's just too freaking gorgeous. It reminds me a little bit of some of the Porsche concept cars I've seen over the years. Staggeringly beautiful.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just watched the 2+ hour long special released a few hours ago on Amazon Prime. Pretty interesting and well done. Some parts early on seem scripted but later parts obviously aren't. Done in a hybrid of Ant Anstead-style reality TV and traditional Lotus documentary (narrator sounds like one I've heard in previous Lotus official documentaries). My brother isn't into cars but even this held his interest because he's into general craft building and 3D printing, both of which there were plenty.

I'd say it's more entertaining than typical Lotus documentaries and recommend it to any Lotus fan.

Trailer was also just posted on YouTube that otherwise requires a discovery+ subscription to view outside YouTube:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just watched the 2+ hour long special released a few hours ago on Amazon Prime. Pretty interesting and well done. Some parts early on seem scripted but later parts obviously aren't. Done in a hybrid of Ant Anstead-style reality TV and traditional Lotus documentary (narrator sounds like one I've heard in previous Lotus official documentaries). My brother isn't into cars but even this held his interest because he's into general craft building and 3D printing, both of which there were plenty.

I'd say it's more entertaining than typical Lotus documentaries and recommend it to any Lotus fan.

Trailer was also just posted on YouTube that otherwise requires a discovery+ subscription to view outside YouTube:
I watched this very enjoyable Radford reality show on Discovery+. It is a tribute to Lotus and its racing heritage with lots of Evora exposure. Great day-in-the-life chronicle of sports car design-development-driving. Oh, somehow Lotus produced 600 HP from the Toyota V6 for the Radford, which has been dismissed as being 15 years old and tops out at 450 HP. Was surprised to learn Radford designed the LeMans winning Ford GT 40.. Chip Foose makes a surprise appearance in helping with #62 livery.. Lots of drama with a wonderful outcome. Race track time at Hethel in front of an appreciative Lotus workforce. Watch it if you can.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Oh, somehow Lotus produced 600 HP from the Toyota V6 for the Radford, which has been dismissed as being 15 years old and tops out at 450 HP.
I think the 62-2 is being paired with a DCT, and not the Toyota EA60 6-speed manual, which most deem the limiting factor at handling higher HP.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In the film Jenson Button specifically choose the manual (not sure whose) for the JPS car and explains why he prefers it..
This JPS Type 62-2 isn’t just a livery either. It’s the most extreme version of the car, even more so than the Gold Leaf version of the standard Radford that improves matters over the “Classic” model. Engine output sees a sharp turn upwards from 500 horsepower to 600 horsepower in the JPS. It’s still using the 3.5-liter supercharged V6 you’d find in the Lotus Evora (an engine Lotus borrows from Toyota), but this one is heavily modified. Radford says it uses upgraded pistons, new connecting rods, camshafts and an upgraded supercharger. Plus, it’s running a more aggressive engine calibration.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the film Jenson Button specifically choose the manual (not sure whose) for the JPS car and explains why he prefers it..
The moment I realized he was driving a manual JPS on track I automatically assumed it was powered by the 430hp engine because it lacks a DCT. Earlier he test drove an Exige Sport 390 Final Edition to "qualify" selecting Exige as the platform, though that 397hp V6 isn't intended for any production 62-2. That gave me reason to believe the track shoot was primarily for marketing so it wouldn't matter if they used a prototype with engine/transmission config not intended for the JPS Edition. Otherwise, if it were a serious track demo they should have [I wish] showcased the powertrain features of this particular top-line 62-2 and published an official lap time.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Speedometer Steering wheel

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Isn't the 3.5 V6 in the 62 mounted longitudinal? It could be mated with a much more stout manual trans if that's the case.
Longitudinal mount would have been nice, and more fitting with respect to the original Type 62 legacy. But no, pretty sure the Radford is transverse, like the Elige/Evora design it's based around.

Since they are all bespoke, maybe Radford would consider building a longitudinal example, for an extra +$2m or so.... 😏😆

1 - 14 of 14 Posts