The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 Elise. My radiator fans don't work at all now unless I turn on the A/C and then they run slow. Lotus says the resistor pack isn't the problem and my cabin blower works just fine. Has anyone else experienced this problem???

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The radiator cooling fans will not come on unless the coolant temperature reaches 208'F
Michael
I've got a 2005 Elise. My radiator fans don't work at all now unless I turn on the A/C and then they run slow. Lotus says the resistor pack isn't the problem and my cabin blower works just fine. Has anyone else experienced this problem???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
radiator fans not working

I've had this car 4 1/2 years. Mine have always come on when my indicated temp was in the upper 180's/low 190's. After 4 years they just stopped doing that. I've rarely seen 200 much less 208!!!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Well, your fans are now working correctly. I've also had my car 4 1/2 years and the fans never come on, except with the A/C. I think this is explained in the owners manual (I don't have ready access to mine at the moment).

TADTS

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
From Lotus service Notes;
KH.5 - RADIATOR FAN & RE-CIRC. PUMP CONTROL
The two cooling fans are fitted beneath the radiator or (with a.c.) condenser/radiator package, and the
coolant re-circulation pump is mounted below the header tank. Both the fans and pump are controlled by the
engine management ECU using data provided by the engine coolant temperature sensor mounted in the back
of the cylinder head.
The cooling fans are switched as a pair, and will operate at half speed (connected in series) when coolant
temperature reaches 98°C on rise, and switch off at 94°C on fall. The fans will also operate at half speed
irrespective of coolant temperature if the a.c. is switched on and the compressor is running. If coolant temperature
rises to 103°C, the fans will switch to full speed (connected in parallel), reverting to half speed at 98°C.
The fans will also run at half speed, unless high coolant temperature dictates otherwise, when the a.c. is
switched on and the compressor is running, or if the engine management system detects a fault with the inlet
air temperature or coolant temperature circuits.
At road speeds in excess of 85 mph (135 km/h), equating to the fan stall speed, all fan functions are
switched off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cooling fan replacement

My cooling fans are making a lot of noise and Lotus says they need to be replaced. Is there an easy way to remove and replace these fans? The dealer says that it is a 15 hour job and they need to remove the front clam.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Sounds about right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts