The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble with posting to existing threads and then showing up as new. Doesn't seem to be working for me so here is a new thread.

I finally completed the radiator and hose replacement. Temperatures are good and and header tank is still settling in with its level. One thing that is a little puzzling is a very slight weep of coolant at the bottom of the sway bar mount. Above the mount is the radiator hose connection. However, no signs of leak from above. I suspect this is spillage from removing the old radiator hoses and draining the system. There was definitely some spillage. How long will the coolant take to dry up? I went for a 100 mile test drive on Monday and the weep showed up again last night. I cannot see a path for the coolant so must be spillage working it's way from the mounts. The mounts are two pieces of aluminum bolted to the tub with the sway bar in between. There really is no source for coolant to get there unless the hoses are leaking and there is no sign of a leak from above.

The back of the sway bar mounts don't appear to attached to the enclosed area with I believe contains the heater matrix. Just hoping it's spillage weeping (for day's now) and not something else.

·
Addict
1,263 Posts
What type of hoses did you use? Could be some fluid that didn’t cleanup well or if you used silicone hoses could be water weeping out.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used oem rubber hoses. The front service panel was off and didn't see leaking from the hose and it sitss directly above the sway bar mount. I definitely spilled coolant when draining the system prior to new radiator and hose install. It seems logical its just spillage working it's way out.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I’m in the midst of replacing the OEM radiator on my 05 Elise. Along with new SPAL fans, the upgraded resistor kit, new AC drier, SS brake lines and oil line recall. Getting it all done while I have clam off.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
While we're discussing this, is there a preferred hose clamp for the coolant fittings? Leaks seem not all that rare on the radiator.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a look this morning with lower front service panel off. Hose/clamp definitely not leaking. I used some compressed air to clear the area and pretty sure it was just some spillage in the crevices slowly working it's way out. Seems the Ethelyn glycol takes quite some time to evaporate. I'll monitor and see if it continues to weep but I expect not.
Regarding clamps: I purchased two new ones for the connection to the radiator. They look exactly the same as the ones I removed. There was an update during production at some point but appears to have already been on my car. I reused the lower clamps which are more narrow in width.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
One way to find out if you have a leak, is to check the fluid level in the header tank when cold, then check it when the engine is hot, if the level is the same there is a good chance you have a leak somewhere. Hot level should be higher than cold 😁

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I did mine I replaced all the clamps with T-bolt clamps. I bought a bag of ten for a decent price on e-bay, 38-43mm. I partially did this as I put new silicone hoses from monkeywrench. I do a lot of engine swaps and use silicone hoses constantly and have never noticed sweating from them.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One way to find out if you have a leak, is to check the fluid level in the header tank when cold, then check it when the engine is hot, if the level is the same there is a good chance you have a leak somewhere. Hot level should be higher than cold 😁
It remained the same level on a drive which I found odd. Then I ran the car a few day's later for about 10-15 minutes and the level to rise and fall from cold to hot and back to cold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts