The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just called a place out here in Albuquerque asking how much they would charge for installation of an audio system if I provided the parts to be installed: sub and two amps. My head unit is awesome. They had said that their estimate was no more than $1,000 :huh:

Is that right? I have seen what it takes and know it is difficult, but $1k??? :facepalm

Is this average? Is this slightly high? Am I underestimating everything that has to do with this car? Dammit.

http://kingkongcustoms.com/

That's the shop ^^^

·
Registered
228 Posts
Best Buy did my head unit, Bluetooth and a sub for maybe $200. Great job too. I just made sure to personally meet with the tech beforehand to make sure he understood my expectations.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best Buy did my head unit, Bluetooth and a sub for maybe $200. Great job too. I just made sure to personally meet with the tech beforehand to make sure he understood my expectations.
**** really? they pulled out the seats and all? the side sills and dash and all that craziness that is needed?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what sub did you use? did they have to find a different sub box? Are the wires hidden? Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had my Lotus mechanic pull the passenger seat before I took the car in, but in hindsight I don't think that was even necessary. I used a simple self powered amp that they attached directly to the rear panel of the car. No enclosure necessary. I don't know where they hid the wires, but none are exposed.

It was a long time ago, but I might have also found an install wiki or something from this forum and given that as well.

The link to the sub ($89) is in the thread you posted a day or two ago.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Depends on the area and yes some will charge a premium for exotic/more difficult cars to deal with

Head unit $40+
Amp $60+ (sometimes discount with more then one installed)
Plus wires and all that stuff
Sub kinda depends if a enclosure is needed to be built or not. If it does need built it could be close to $1k by the time its all done.... Or a cheap box could be $50-100

I had around $1500 if I recall in the install on my non lotus. Component set up front, rear speakers, two amps, nav deck, fiberglass sub enclosure, extra battery for my power hungry elite amps......

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Head unit in place already. Speakers installed already. I have the wires already and everything but a sub box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts