The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
aty,
Perhaps you can answer this. In the LA owner's manual they said the players except mp3 on cds. Does this unit also have the capability of an MP3 player connection without using cds?
I know absolutely nothing about stereos.
Chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
aty,
Perhaps you can answer this. In the LA owner's manual they said the players except mp3 on cds. Does this unit also have the capability of an MP3 player connection without using cds?
I know absolutely nothing about stereos.
Chris
Both units seem to have an aux 1 input.
The upgraded one has 2 aux inputs

See also:
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1635

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
frukio,
Showing my ignorance, so the aux input terminal allows you to hook up an mp3 player?

Do you have experience/opinion of the best one out there for this purpose?
Thansk
Chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
Chris,

Yup, the aux input lets you plug in any external audio source (mp3 player, walkman, computer, etc).

Since the pictures of the Blaupunkt's don't show a jack on the front of the unit, it probably requires an adaptor cord. It most likely plugs in the back of the unit, then you would thread the cord out into the passenger footwell (or wherever). The end of the cord would probably either have a mini-headphone style plug, or RCA plugs (the red and white plugs used for home stereo connections).

I used to have an Alpine HU with an adapter to RCA input. I loved it - the amp produced great sound. Then it got stolen.
Now I have JVC, which has a mini-headphone plug right on the face plate (which I have never actually used, all though this was one of my criteria for choosing the HU).
It's not as loud, doesn't have as good bass, and doesn't sound as clean...

I've heard good things about Blaupunkt, but for any car that had a bad stereo, if I were upgrading, I would definitely get an Alpine again...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from page 35 of the MP72 manual:

In addition to the CD changer, you can also connect another external audio source equipped with a line output. The audio source can, for example, be a portable CD player, MiniDisc player or MP3 player.

The AUX input must be activated in the setup menu.

If you want to connect an external audio source, you will need an adapter cable. You can obtain this cable from a Blaupunkt dealer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
Apparently it is even cooler than that. Balupunkt has an add-on HDD MP3 player that canbe controlled like a CD Changer. Here is the link .
Nice that you can control it with the HU, but 1GB??? Come on, Blaupunkt!! That's even smaller than the new mini-ipod

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
How much playing time does one gig translate out to be. seems like a lot to me (who knows next to nothing about stereo or mp#)
Chris

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
zvezdah1 said:
How much playing time does one gig translate out to be. seems like a lot to me (who knows next to nothing about stereo or mp#)
Chris
a 650 MB CD will hold 10-11 hours of music, so 1 GB should hold around 17 hours.

This assumes 1MB=1 minute of music, which is fairly standard.

A dvd holds 4.7GB, for reference.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Did anybody else notice that the LosAngeles has an automated EQ system? You can set three different setting. One balance and EQ for the Driver Only one for driver and fron passenger and one for whole car. I expect the third I would set for the roof out for driver and passenger.

It will take MMC cards (I know redunant use of card). So if you have a MP3 player that takes those you could just slide in the card.

I have never ripped CD's to MP3 because we have CD changesr and space for CD's was not an issue. But with the Lotus I think having 10 hours of songs on one disc would be convenient. It would be like a mini changer! I am not sure I will miss the CD quality in the Lotus environment.

Greg

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
what?? not XM radio compatible? i want a head unit that controls an XM radio. i am an avowed XM addict. i very very rarely play anything other than XM these days. fabulous sound quality and in about a month all music is completely commercial free. looks like i have to rip this thing out and replace it with something capable

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Where's the slot for singe CD's? Don't see it on either one.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The front panel most likely swings down to reveal the single-CD slot.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Must be a manual door to open to load the CD - don't see a button that would obviously open a door or slot. Had a Blaupunkt (I believe) in a '96 540i BMW - not a very good radio I must say - only real complaint I had about the car.

I want to have Flight of the Valkyrie or something like that blaring while I motor through downtown Cincinnati.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The most upper/right button shows a faceplate going to horizontal. Upper/left for faceplate removal.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Of course.......That's what I get for messing with the forums at all hours - dain bramage. LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts