The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Radio replacement Cubby pocket. It fits!

14K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  NoRawkus305 
#1 ·
After removing the radio and speakers, etc. in my Elise last night I came into work (Porsche Dealer)thinking that if I bought a Boxster/911 front center console storage pocket I might be able to modify it to work in the place of the radio. To my amazement it plugged right in the radio hole and even with a reassuring click!
The P/N is 996-552-253-0101C (shelf) @ $50.95 retail price Silly Porsche pricing for a plastic box with a rubber mat in it.
It does however fit perfectly and match the interior! SWEET:p

HRM CO Elise :clap:

#3 ·
Actually if there had been a radio delete option I would have checked the box.
As you know the sound quality in an uninsulated thin skinned aluminum car is terrible. Losing 10 lbs from a car that only weighs 1,900+ lbs is wonderful.
My car has the Stage II Sport exhaust so I couldn't even hear the radio most of the time anyway.
Storage is at a premium in the car as well and the radio hole is a great storage cubby hole:D

#5 ·
Radio and four speakers were 10lbs (bathroom scale with radio,etc and without) I will try to get a real scale to accuratley weigh them. The rear panel, & ceiling roll bar cover, and THICK foam insulation felt about 1/2 as heavy so I'm estimating 5 lbs on that.

#15 ·
Nominate for library!

#17 ·
I left the metal bracket from the Blaupunkt head unit in the dash, because the cubby seemed to fit more snugly with it. A little expensive for a plastic bin, but worth the $$ anyway. Nice rubber surface.

Has anyone come up with an alternative to leaving the stock grills and brackets in place to cover the holes form the speakers? My grills are warped.

#19 ·
man, this is fantastic. I purchased the Porsche cubby, pulled the old head unit out, and stuck the cubby in: CLICK!

was a :30 minute job, including fabricating removal keys for the old head unit. So thankful to have no stereo in the car. Next, onto speaker delete!

#20 ·
Interesting. I can't really hear my stereo above a certain mph, especially with my carbon roof. It's so thin you can actually see light through the Mohawk scoop looking into it. I love the idea of shaving some weight.

San

#21 ·
Very cool! If I ever decide to do the delete, this would be on the top of the list. The ease of plug and play. Awesome find @perryeygus!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.