The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After removing the radio and speakers, etc. in my Elise last night I came into work (Porsche Dealer)thinking that if I bought a Boxster/911 front center console storage pocket I might be able to modify it to work in the place of the radio. To my amazement it plugged right in the radio hole and even with a reassuring click!
The P/N is 996-552-253-0101C (shelf) @ $50.95 retail price Silly Porsche pricing for a plastic box with a rubber mat in it.
It does however fit perfectly and match the interior! SWEET:p

HRM CO Elise :clap:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Nice ! So you removed the sound system entirely ? Did you just decide you didn't want / "need" one ?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually if there had been a radio delete option I would have checked the box.
As you know the sound quality in an uninsulated thin skinned aluminum car is terrible. Losing 10 lbs from a car that only weighs 1,900+ lbs is wonderful.
My car has the Stage II Sport exhaust so I couldn't even hear the radio most of the time anyway.
Storage is at a premium in the car as well and the radio hole is a great storage cubby hole:D

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radio and four speakers were 10lbs (bathroom scale with radio,etc and without) I will try to get a real scale to accuratley weigh them. The rear panel, & ceiling roll bar cover, and THICK foam insulation felt about 1/2 as heavy so I'm estimating 5 lbs on that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
perryeyges said:
The P/N is 996-552-253-0101C (shelf) @ $50.95 retail price Silly Porsche pricing for a plastic box with a rubber mat in it.
any suggestions for getting it cheaper?

i thought somebody posted it was about $20?

·
Registered
806 Posts
i just ordered it. $37. still too much, but i was kind of anxious. it better fit as nicely as you say it does. :)

did you remove the thin metal insert at the front before putting it in?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Perry, how did you cover the speaker holes in the dashboard?

·
Registered
407 Posts
masheen said:
idid you remove the thin metal insert at the front before putting it in?
I did not remove the metal insert, but i did trim some of the plastic tabs off the cubby. It would help for easier removal later.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nominate for library!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi there.

I never listen to the radio in any of my pleasure cars....

For the lotus I wonder if there is a backup camera or GPS/Camera combo that would fit in. Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I left the metal bracket from the Blaupunkt head unit in the dash, because the cubby seemed to fit more snugly with it. A little expensive for a plastic bin, but worth the $$ anyway. Nice rubber surface.

Has anyone come up with an alternative to leaving the stock grills and brackets in place to cover the holes form the speakers? My grills are warped.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I
Has anyone come up with an alternative to leaving the stock grills and brackets in place to cover the holes form the speakers? My grills are warped.
I bought a plastic sheet from a hobby shop, cut two round pieces, painted them flat black, and installed them under the old brackets.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
man, this is fantastic. I purchased the Porsche cubby, pulled the old head unit out, and stuck the cubby in: CLICK!

was a :30 minute job, including fabricating removal keys for the old head unit. So thankful to have no stereo in the car. Next, onto speaker delete!

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Interesting. I can't really hear my stereo above a certain mph, especially with my carbon roof. It's so thin you can actually see light through the Mohawk scoop looking into it. I love the idea of shaving some weight.

San

1 - 20 of 21 Posts