The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any have nay thoughts as to what the better solution is. I've heard really good things about the Hydra (other then smaller tuner base). The Radium obviously is new for them but they have a well known ECU the AEM

Specs Hydra
Hydra EMS :: Nemesis 2.7 > Specifications

Specs AEM EMS-4 Universal Standalone Engine Management System - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

It appears the AEM is now their 3rd tier unit down the line, behind the Infinity and Series II

Hydra on the other hand keeps updating the main unit making it there top of the line unit. It also has the ability to run completely without the stock ECU while running all other systems.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Radium's stuff and AEM. I'm running a Series II, Radium's solution wasn't out at that time. But regardless of brand loyalty, the reason I'm using an AEM EMS is because I have a really good AEM tuner near me.

The tuner is going to make a bigger difference than the brand of EMS. I'd start by finding out what great tuners you have around you, and then pick the brand based on that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tuner is the way to go... I have a hydra 2.6 in my Subaru... a lot of tuners don't want to touch it so you have to find the right ones. Hydra is nice since you can literally tweak everything about your car.

However, I still hate the fact that it uses a serial cable and not usb. It's so slow for uploading the map! I think the 2.7 has usb capability but I haven't looked into it yet. I'm supposed to be upgraded to 2.7 for free so we'll see.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have tuned with both brands of ecu's and the AEM software is much more intuitive and powerful, so I am pretty excited for this product.
On a side note I am wondering if Radium plans to sell a harness to incorporate the new AEM Infinity series ecu, as it one of the most advanced ecu solutions on the market(in it's price range).

Either way.....I am an AEM certified tuner, so I am pretty anxious for these to hit the market.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Casey for sharing your thoughts. I had asked Radium about the Infinity. I think there initial feeling was that it was way more powerful then what is really needed for this application. I looked at the Infinity pricing and it is pretty darn expensive. Don't know if most would ever need that level of power and flexibility. Even the Infinity 8 which is it's lowest model is $2600.00 and designed for 8 cylinder cars hence the model "8"

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't been involved with engine tuning for quite some time now, but in past projects I've used Motec M4's which seems similar is feature set to this new EMS-4 AMS ecu... but I remember paying four or five times as much back them (M4, pre M400- DOS based interface....)

That is a pretty good bang for the buck 4 cyl ECU if it does what it is supposed to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts