The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm not sure if anyone of you are like me, but I've been dying to get their ECU solution for a while now... For those who don't know, it is based on the AEM EMS-4.

It was supposed to be released early this year, but still nothing yet. Does anyone here know more about when it's gonna be ready ?

I have a GT2871R sitting in my garage and I can't wait to bolt that blower.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The Radium Plug N' Play EMS kit press release will be announced very soon. We are just waiting to nail down a date.

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much.

Will you be able to supply me with a base map for my GT2871R ?

·
Registered
787 Posts
were you guys able to nail down a price yet? And I'm assuming this completely replaces the stock ecu?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it does replace the ECU. This is a standalone unit, not a piggyback...

·
Registered
787 Posts
well the hydra was called a "standalone" on occation yet it still used the stock ecu. just making sure :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
The stock Lotus ECU integrates into this Radium EMS kit via the supplied Radium main harness. It is used only for mundane functions such as: A/C system, evaporative vent system, cooling fans, gauge cluster, fuel pump, starter relay, electronic throttle, and idle. This allows the Lotus ECU to still output active fault codes viewed using a scan tool on the OBDII diagnostics port as usual. Note: because the Radium system completely takes control of the other EFI components, this system will inherently register a check engine light and a few ECU codes which is normal. Conversely, the Radium EMS is not a piggy back controller and is NOT emissions legal.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So not only does this require the stock ecu, but it will also not be OBD2 compliant, will throw codes, and leave your check engine light on?
Wow... so how is this any better than something like a Hydra EMS?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
FWIW the Hydra can run full standalone, I do it on my race car. I think the latest Hydra version will even drive CANBUS (but I run AiM MXL dash on the race car). You can program all the necessary outputs to turn on the fuel pump relay, starter enable, A/C compressor and cooling fans. In fact one neat extra is I use the Hydra to run the heat soak pump after shutdown, so that I can cool the turbo without idling the engine. Very, very powerful unit, but will never be street legal

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
So not only does this require the stock ecu, but it will also not be OBD2 compliant, will throw codes, and leave your check engine light on?
Wow... so how is this any better than something like a Hydra EMS?
Its plug and play so I think that is one of its biggest up sides. Its also aem based so the user / tuner base is much bigger. There are also some nice features on the newer AEM units that other standalones may not have.

However yes this is a ultimately a standalone like others that are available. If you are expecting a stanalone with obd-ii compliance you will be waiting forever. If you want obd compliance you need a tune on the stock ecu.

A

·
0 Posts
I see the plug and play as a big plus. Cutting through the harness would take many hours and would be quite costly.

Like WhatsADSM said, many tuners know the AEM EMS so it's easier to work with.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well the problem with Hydra is there are very few people that can tune them, so I guess that's the main benefit to the AEM system. But that still leaves the issue of throwing codes and not being emissions legal. Seems like the main purpose of retaining the stock ecu should be passing emissions. Heck even a piggyback can be emissions legal. What's the point of designing an ECU that's easier to tune if it can't be used by the majority of people who street drive their cars?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I have to say I am a little surprised that this setup will be throwing all kinds of codes. The other side of it it's no big deal since I can remotely clear the codes with my android phone very easy.

There is another option coming out that will be like CharlieX re-flash but with owner tuning abilities. Something that never made it to the hands of the owner. I guess that really is the holy grail method, stock ECU tuning and access.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yea, that's what Mike has been working on, only he hasn't developed it for the 05 ECU yet, so it could be 2-3 months, plus any time it takes to work all the bugs out

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If you want OBD compliance you need to use EXCLUSIVELY the stock ECU. There is nothing new about this.

I don't know of a standalone of any type for any vehicle that will allow you to continue to support OBDII and have emissions compliance.

Simple as that.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Yea, that's what Mike has been working on, only he hasn't developed it for the 05 ECU yet, so it could be 2-3 months, plus any time it takes to work all the bugs out
Yes and I am excited that he has decided to green light it! :nanner:

He will have the most popular and desired solution when it comes to market

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes and I am excited that he has decided to green light it! :nanner:

He will have the most popular and desired solution when it comes to market
So which company is this that will be releasing this solution? Definitely what I've been waiting for.

·
Registered
787 Posts
He was talking with radium about it, but when I asked radium about it, nothing sounded very decided.
The only problem is there would be some limitations, such as fuel table won't allow huge changes, no launch control or boost control by gear, and the whole problem of auxiliary connections.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts