The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried looking at Radium's website for pricing info on their CAI and don't see it listed. Any links I find for it don't work. Are they still making it or anyone know what's going on with it?

Thanks
James

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Correct. I was a major PIA to Phil about this but , of course, I was wrong. Time to support BOE and go in that direction. Do you have an NA or S?

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
867 Posts
Mine is sitting in the closet, it was too loud for me, turns out.
Did you upgrade the exhaust as well? I just can't imagine the intake making that big of a sound impact that you would uninstall. Was yours NA or S? I ask because I have an NA and plan to change the intake eventually. Maybe I should just keep my sights on a Larini exhaust if noise is going to be too loud?

·
Illegal Alien
5,272 Posts
Honestly with boe cai, headers and Larini silencer I still find tire P corsa) road noise the most intrusive on normal throttle application driving.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct. I was a major PIA to Phil about this but , of course, I was wrong. Time to support BOE and go in that direction. Do you have an NA or S?

Pick up my 2011 NA in a couple of weeks. :nanner::panic::panic::shift::shift::D Can't wait! So I'm already shopping for stuff. :cool:

It has the Plack exhaust and comes with the stock. I will wait and see how loud it is before doing anything else.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just tried looking at Radium's website for pricing info on their CAI and don't see it listed.
That is correct. After moving 200 units, we decided that tooling up for another 100 would be a little optimistic. If interested, here was our research and development blog from 2011 on the EVORA intake system. Radium Engineering - Blog - Lotus Evora Intake System

However, this is surprisingly a better market than we originally predicted. We still support the EVORA platform with our
EVORA Dual Oil Catch Can Kit

EVORA Billet V6 Fuel Rail Kit

and our EVORA Titanium Lug Bolts

Please email us if you have any questions...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Did you upgrade the exhaust as well? I just can't imagine the intake making that big of a sound impact that you would uninstall. Was yours NA or S? I ask because I have an NA and plan to change the intake eventually. Maybe I should just keep my sights on a Larini exhaust if noise is going to be too loud?
Mine is an NA. I have the Lotus Sports exhaust. With the CAI, it got so loud at high RPMs, I started to upshift early, cause you're not always in the mood to make a bunch of noise. As I recall, the highway cruise was a bit more rumbly and intrusive as well. The intake is right there, behind your left ear.

Anyone wants it, I am willing to part with it.

Guess I am not a "Plack exhaust" candidate.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Humm, that intake sound is pure pleasure to me and didn't really kick in till 4000rpms and 1/2 + accelerator. Oh well it worked for me even if it did advance spark etc

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Mine is an NA. I have the Lotus Sports exhaust. With the CAI, it got so loud at high RPMs, I started to upshift early, cause you're not always in the mood to make a bunch of noise. As I recall, the highway cruise was a bit more rumbly and intrusive as well. The intake is right there, behind your left ear.

Anyone wants it, I am willing to part with it.

Guess I am not a "Plack exhaust" candidate.
sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. As stated above the only time I hear my CAI is on some hard acceleration at about 4000rpms. Even then it is just a slight "wooshing" sound like the wastegate of a turbo.
The Plack exhaust would be a definite non starter for you.
Everyone like a little different sound. That is the great thing about the Evora. you can have it your way.
no wrong answers here

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am getting my Evora S upgraded with the full komotec package. Means I will have a decat pipe and BOE CAI spare if anyone wants them

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. As stated above the only time I hear my CAI is on some hard acceleration at about 4000rpms. Even then it is just a slight "wooshing" sound like the wastegate of a turbo.
The Plack exhaust would be a definite non starter for you.
Everyone like a little different sound. That is the great thing about the Evora. you can have it your way.
no wrong answers here
Don't get me started on the "giant sucking sound"...worse than NAFTA!!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
That sucking sound (aka induction) is unquestionably prevalent at any RPM range and anyone who can't hear it at lower ranges might actually have considerable hearing loss, given it's not that high of a pitch. It's definitely not vacuum leak because I've tested that during my time with it installed (for another diagnosis, re the stalling issue).

My father is could no hear it until around 4000 RPM when it was really loud. But for everyone else who has been in my car when I had it it was the first question they asked.. "What's that sound?" the moment I give the car some gas. Most people found it an unpleasant sound, including myself. As I've written a few years back, I found out annoying at first but it kind of grew on me. But removing it, not just because Lotus gave me grief about it, was a good decision as it probably saved me some hearing loss.

I still think it's a fantastic upgrade for the NA but do not recommend it while your car is under warranty.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sounded almost like the air filter was undersized for the application, like a giant asthmatic was struggling to breathe through a straw.
The whistle was ok, but not close to as fun as a turbo, then came the roar over 4k. Good when you were into it, time to shift if you were not.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
it's just the air whistling past the throttle blade. Now you know why OEMs spend so much time and effort on elaborate air boxes. It's not for performance. It's for sound...

you may be able to sand the sharp edges off on the TBlade to help if it really bothers you... or it might mess up your idle. lol

Most find it OK, I think... if most is me, then most is correct ;)

-Phil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts