The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Radium with GT2871R turbo, custom air/air intercooler, DRS EFI standalone ECU, DRS built race motor!

Getting her finished this weekend. Stay tune for update and more photos.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Please let us know more about your setup.

I have same turbo but not installed yet. How many PSIg will you be running ? Have you changed the trans or will be running stock ?

Are you using a boost controller ?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
are you going to take it to a tuner right away or do you have a base map?

It would be great to see a dyno sheet on this setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has been an ongoing project. Having previously done similar work on my Viper I learned different things that work and what doesn't. Did a lot of things more than once and spent a lot of money for lessons learned. One of the biggest trial and error projects involved intercoolers. Never found the air/water to work on the track. I got the Exige about three years ago after going for a ride in one on the track. I felt it was a great handling car for the track with a great feel of the road. Most of all, much less expensive to tract than the Viper.

I started the Charlie X tune, air/water intercooler, smaller pulley, headers, etc. Just didn't do it. I believed the only way was to go with a turbo. As far as I'm concerned, a supercharger has no place on a 4-cyl engine. I choose the radium setup due to the quality and workmanship of their product and the 2871 has the power curve I was looking for.

The air/air IC was the way I needed to go but I needed to make it as large as potable a get as much as as possible so I had an IC custom made as large as I could fit and supplemented the air scoop with intakes from the side scoops. I had this SC setup when I was running the SC and I had great AIT's on the track and was very pleased. Expecting good results with this.

I had the turbo in a few month back before I build the motor and although I didn't track the car I did feel that it was exactly what I was looking for at 15 psi. I wouldn't have built the motor if I would have got what I wanted from 10-12 psi. Now I have 10:1 pistons, cam and the new oil pump gears. Also, new clutch and flywheel.

As for the transmission, it still stock. I installed a new trans oil cooler just under the radiator to keep the transmission cool. This is the best I can do for now. Will just have to see how it holds up. Personally, I think it is going to be ok if I keep it a 15 Psi.

Well hope to get it all finished this weekend and I will post more pics along with a full description of the build. I would be happy to to answer any questions and share all my experience with any of you.

Also, have some parts for sale such as the factory SC, w/a IC system, weapon R headers, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks great; nice intercooler setup! I'm very interested to hear your driving impressions once you get your car running. I dropped my Exige off last week at DRS for a Radium turbo build.

How do you like that 2871 so far - not too laggy? What sort of power are you aiming for here?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Way to go with DSR! Great guys. They built my motor the did the efi and tune. Your in the best hand. The only thing I think you need to consider the the IC. I'm not sure what they are doing with the IC. I know Radium does the a/w IC because that's all you can do with the Elise. This IC system I did is the best way to go. Really light stuff has the ducting you can use and I believe they even have a larger a/a IC. I'm sure DSR can build something like I did. Let me know if I can help. I was right around 300HP at 12 psi so 325 is right on. That has been my target all along. The best thing is the torque! Night and day from the SC setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Radium turbo install

Radium with GT2871R turbo, custom air/air intercooler, DRS EFI standalone ECU, DRS built race motor!

Getting her finished this weekend. Stay tune for update and more photos

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This has been an ongoing project. Having previously done similar work on my Viper I learned different things that work and what doesn't. Did a lot of things more than once and spent a lot of money for lessons learned. One of the biggest trial and error projects involved intercoolers. Never found the air/water to work on the track. I got the Exige about three years ago after going for a ride in one on the track. I felt it was a great handling car for the track with a great feel of the road. Most of all, much less expensive to tract than the Viper.

I started the Charlie X tune, air/water intercooler, smaller pulley, headers, etc. Just didn't do it. I believed the only way was to go with a turbo. As far as I'm concerned, a supercharger has no place on a 4-cyl engine. I choose the radium setup due to the quality and workmanship of their product and the 2871 has the power curve I was looking for.

The air/air IC was the way I needed to go but I needed to make it as large as potable a get as much as as possible so I had an IC custom made as large as I could fit and supplemented the air scoop with intakes from the side scoops. I had this SC setup when I was running the SC and I had great AIT's on the track and was very pleased. Expecting good results with this.

I had the turbo in a few month back before I build the motor and although I didn't track the car I did feel that it was exactly what I was looking for at 15 psi. I wouldn't have built the motor if I would have got what I wanted from 10-12 psi. Now I have 10:1 pistons, cam and the new oil pump gears. Also, new clutch and flywheel.

As for the transmission, it still stock. I installed a new trans oil cooler just under the radiator to keep the transmission cool. This is the best I can do for now. Will just have to see how it holds up. Personally, I think it is going to be ok if I keep it a 15 Psi.

Well hope to get it all finished this weekend and I will post more pics along with a full description of the build. I would be happy to to answer any questions and share all my experience with any of you.

Also, have some parts for sale such as the factory SC, w/a IC system, weapon R headers,

·
Registered
825 Posts
Which w/a system did you use on your car when it was Sc'ed? Interesting set up. Did you test out radium's intercooler setup before going with your own custom? That is a lot of piping which will most definitely create a pressure drop. :shrug: Not trying to knock on your setup just curious.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Way to go with DSR! Great guys. They built my motor the did the efi and tune. Your in the best hand. The only thing I think you need to consider the the IC. I'm not sure what they are doing with the IC. I know Radium does the a/w IC because that's all you can do with the Elise. This IC system I did is the best way to go. Really light stuff has the ducting you can use and I believe they even have a larger a/a IC. I'm sure DSR can build something like I did. Let me know if I can help. I was right around 300HP at 12 psi so 325 is right on. That has been my target all along. The best thing is the torque! Night and day from the SC setup.
I'll be going a different route with the IC setup. I was thinking of doing what you have but Kris talked me into a central front mounted A/W cooler. I'm thinking of adding another rear mounted heat exchanger in addition to that too. I'll likely be using the GTX2863R turbo. I'll do a writeup once we get things rolling.

Be wary of your transmission with that much power/tq! My 3rd gear had a dramatic death at the track. It lasted about 15 track days with around 275 whp. Then again, a lot of it just depends on luck and the person driving!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got you on the transmission. I'm expecting it to go but I'm not sure of the solution. So far the only thing I have found wiuld be the 5-speed convertion but I dont think I would like the 5-seed on the track. I'm looking for another soution.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I kept the diameter the same size as the turbo outlet all the way to the IC to keep the volume down as much as possible. I agree that is best to keep the piping down but I do not believe it has much effect on the performance. I have seen turbo systems on other types of cars that also have substantial piping. I have used a lot of different setups and have some experience of what works. On the Viper I made a large tank to hold an additional 3 gal of water, larger a/w IC and exchanger. Works great on the drag strip but still gets heat soaked on the track. I live in Florida and it get’s hot. Once that water gets hot it’s just not cooling it down. If anyone can do it DRS can. Radium uses one in the engine compartment with a fan and I don’t think that has a chance at the track on hot days. Installing the a/w exchanger up front would be the most efficient way for a a/w in my opinion and as long as there is a good size IC. I’m no engineer so everything I have to say is just from my experience and research over the years. Once we get some of these finished and on the track we can compare performance and AIT’s

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very nice. Random question but what type of wastegate setup do they use on these? From the looks of it I am thinking integrated flap but I can't tell. Are you using an EBC for controlling the boost or is that integrated into the stand alone?

I have been debating on sourcing another engine and doing a lower compression/forged build with a Radium kit. I am very interested to see how yours turns out. Nice setup!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts