The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just a quick review of the Radium Turbo Kit. If I had to use one word it would be, outrageous! Tons of torque. That is something most Elise owners have never had. The power comes on early and hard. The power comes on smoothly if you want. The power needs to be rolled on in the first three gears or you will loose traction, after that it just pulls like crazy. The quality of the parts is exceptional. Their catch cans and serge tanks are very cool.

I have driven a supercharged lotus and there is no comparison. The power, the toque and the sound. It makes 334WHP and sounds great. My wife gets mad if I short shift because she loves the sound of the Blow Off so much.

The Radium guys have be awesome to deal with. They even had us to their house for dinner after the PIR track day.

PSI in Portland Or. did the install. They are also top notch crew. Got the job done right and did not even scratch my car. Real cool guys. Home - Portland Speed Industries

Over all I am super happy I held out for three years waiting for a reliable turbo kit. I was tempted many times to purchase a supercharger, but I knew turbo was the only thing that would make me happy.

So far everyone that has gone for a ride has been scared. I took my wife for some laps around PIR and she cried for 1/2 hour after. I think that will be her last hot laps. I have some really fast toys but this thing is a thrill.

Thanks Tony

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RADIUM TURBO

I will get an in car video up soon. I did one on the track, but like a Dumb Ass I had the camera upside down.

T

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I will get an in car video up soon. I did one on the track, but like a Dumb Ass I had the camera upside down.

T
Now that's what I call excited lol

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Radium Engineering - Blog - Radium Lotus Turbocharger Kit Diary
This is a link to the build diary we maintained for this car.

It is running an Prototype EMS kit from Radium. The motor is stock except for the Cosworth 1.2mm head gasket.
J.P. here at Radium did all the tuning. We will have our production plug and play EMS kits available soon.
phenominal work... look really good

glad to see a company do this with the Elise platform since turbo applications have so much more potential than the superchargers offered

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
FATTONY:
Isn't torque wonderful ;). The turbo selection looks good. Most people make the mistake of running huge turbos at lower boost levels to keep the power down. In the end you are left with a car with a tiny little peaky powerband. When in reality the car would actually be faster with a smaller turbo. In your case it's a pretty well matched turbo, not *too* laggy, and still gives you room to grow.
Keep everyone posted with your experiences with it in the future as well!

Radium:
So the EMS... any more info on that? As you well know, this will be one of the biggest make it or break it pieces for the kit.

Oh yea one other question (that I also ask other vendors as well): Do you have any IAT data on track? I always wonder how all of these solutions ACTUALLY perform in terms of long term track IATs. That is always the Achilles heel of these MR forced induction platforms; hard to get enough air flow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Keep in mind there is zero compressor piping in the RADIUM turbo kit (only silicone couplers). Turbo connects to the intercooler, intercooler connects to the throttle body. Less volume equates to quicker more efficient spool time.

We have made a huge improvement with inlet air temperature in the last 3 years of development.

The following parts were not a part of the initial turbo kit prototype. Air temps have affectively dropped ~75deg F since then.

We scratched the stainless steel heat shield and went with a custom made thermal wrap with Inconel thread. This keeps engine bay temperature down so the air filter can drawn in cooler air
Radium Engineering - Blog - Dealing With the Heat

We made a crazy shaped custom coupler to locate the air filter 3 feet further away from the exhaust heat.

The intercooler fan was always there but we added a left side duct to redirect air toward the intercooler and also drastically improved the fan shroud.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Keep in mind there is zero compressor piping in the RADIUM turbo kit (only silicone couplers). Turbo connects to the intercooler, intercooler connects to the throttle body. Less volume equates to quicker more efficient spool time.

We have made a huge improvement with inlet air temperature in the last 3 years of development.

The following parts were not a part of the initial turbo kit prototype. Air temps have affectively dropped ~75deg F since then.

We scratched the stainless steel heat shield and went with a custom made thermal wrap with Inconel thread. This keeps engine bay temperature down so the air filter can drawn in cooler air
Radium Engineering - Blog - Dealing With the Heat

We made a crazy shaped custom coupler to locate the air filter 3 feet further away from the exhaust heat.

The intercooler fan was always there but we added a left side duct to redirect air toward the intercooler and also drastically improved the fan shroud.

Yea all that looks like it would certainly help...

And please don't take this the wrong way because it seems all the vendors tend to answer in the same way (showing things they do to improve IAT, or explaining their theory on cooling)... but do we actually have real track data to show?

You guys are actually very good at showing data IMHO, and it really helps understand how things are operating. I am just curious how the top mounted intercooler system actually performs in terms of long term IAT temps.

It is interesting to me how all of the FI vendors have taken a different approach. From A/W with an exchanger in the (passenger) side scoop (BOE), to A/A in (driver) side scoop (VF), to A/A top mount (Radium). Would be nice to see how effective these solutions really are at cooling when we are out on track for 20 minutes.

FWIW I'd be more than happy to share any data I have on it. Although at the moment its not much more than a few dyno pulls which don't mean a lot in terms of real world track performance.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The kits do look really nice... i saw one partially installed at Dietch Works recently with the rear clam off... it's neat to see all the plumbing and changes made.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I am however curious about why you think you'd only be happy with a turbo? I'm guessing it's the turbo sound and blow-off sound (i can totally appreciate people's affection with sounds) but you haven't done your homework if you think 330+ wheel horsepower is at or above the limit of what people are doing reliably with superchargers... are turbo's known to have higher overall torque and more torque at lower RPM compared to SC's of similar max HP output?

Not at all intending to start a pissing contest, just curious what exactly you like about turbo's because there's quite a few threads on here with people freaking out about how there car has been turned into a rocket ship (which yours and these other cars truly are), and while they love the noise or whatever, it doesn't seem like the fact that it's a supercharger as opposed to a turbo is part of their satisfaction...

I like turbos because of their fundamental fuel efficiency... using exhaust gas to boost inlet pressure is facinating. I like the TVS superchargers for how quiet, simple and effective they are at getting solid hp gains without the hassle of intercooling complexity... but a TVS kit would ofcourse need intercooling too if they wanted track reliable numbers like you have.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
ewalberg

A turbo has a advantage that is compensates for altitude better than a supercharger. I live in Colorado and drive from 4000feet to 11000 feet normally. A Turbo will spin and compress more air as elevation changes to reach boost.

A supercharger is only set for one elevation and losses more power at higher elevation.

Ed

·
Registered
399 Posts
How much extra heat does this system give off? I often thought about how the rear clam will hold up after years of punching it :)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Do you have a stock tranny?
Having the teensy bit of delay in a turbo can help extend the life of the transmission (and clutch too). *not to imply this setup has lag, but a general statement about turbos*

·
Registered
571 Posts
Was just researching these tonight. They look damned impressive!

The kits do look really nice... i saw one partially installed at Dietch Works recently with the rear clam off... it's neat to see all the plumbing and changes made.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I am however curious about why you think you'd only be happy with a turbo? I'm guessing it's the turbo sound and blow-off sound (i can totally appreciate people's affection with sounds) but you haven't done your homework if you think 330+ wheel horsepower is at or above the limit of what people are doing reliably with superchargers... are turbo's known to have higher overall torque and more torque at lower RPM compared to SC's of similar max HP output?

Not at all intending to start a pissing contest, just curious what exactly you like about turbo's because there's quite a few threads on here with people freaking out about how there car has been turned into a rocket ship (which yours and these other cars truly are), and while they love the noise or whatever, it doesn't seem like the fact that it's a supercharger as opposed to a turbo is part of their satisfaction...

I like turbos because of their fundamental fuel efficiency... using exhaust gas to boost inlet pressure is facinating. I like the TVS superchargers for how quiet, simple and effective they are at getting solid hp gains without the hassle of intercooling complexity... but a TVS kit would ofcourse need intercooling too if they wanted track reliable numbers like you have.
Having never driven a turbo'd Lotus in particular, the way I've found a turbo to come on in other cars is just like nothing else, and they are more efficient. Superchargers, running off the crank by nature, are limited to a point by having their ultimate power and it's delivery, too directly related to RPM. A gross statement to make, I know, but turbochargers by nature don't suffer this same problem. You can be making max boost by 3500rpm if you wanted to. When that boost would otherwise be connected to the crank, you're going to have to rev it hard to get the most out of it. Again, not in every case, but as a general rule.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hi
As far as Heat from the turbo goes. Doing a rear panel eliminator and side scoops like an Exige helps alot. before I did these modifications I had alot of heat in the engine bay.

Ed

·
Registered
571 Posts
I also especially dig that straight dump/diffuser exit exhaust setup on the blue car. Looks really good and sounds mint!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts