The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon to be available Raid Freeway steering wheels with install kits that include hub adapter and airbag connectors sold as complete kits. I am told these wheel kits also fit the M100 Elan. It will be at a good discount price with final price to be announced soon.

Model and colors as follows:
One in Carbon Fiber style finish and two in silver finish brand new and pristine condition. One Carbon Fiber style finish used as floor demo in trade shows never installed in car so selling as gently used w/small 1/8" nick on back side of wheel. Will send high res detailed pictures before purchase.

As is customary and keeping with our local club tradition it will be listed on the LOON website prior to being released for sale on other sites. At which time the exact quantities and model available will be up dated. I will be visiting the western Chicago suburbs this weekend. So there is a chance to save on shipping and paypal fees for people who live on or near the route from Minneapolis to Arlington Heights/Des Plaines

PM if interested

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you have time, stop at the Car Show for the Veterans on Saturday. Quite a few Lotus Corps members will be attending.

July 19th - A non-public show of antique, classic, and exotic cars, specially organized for the Veteran Residents of the James A. Lovell Fed-eral Health Care Center in North Chicago. There is no entry fee, and a very nice lunch is provided, free of charge. Registration begins at 11:30 AM, and the show runs from 1:00 to 3:00 PM. Parking for the show cars is on a First Come, First Served, basis. Trophies are awarded as decided by the vets themselves.

Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center 3001 Green Bay Road North Chicago, IL
Directions: From the Tri-State Tollway (I-94), exit Buckley Rd. (Rte. 137), east to Green Bay Rd. (Rte. 131), turn right (S), and turn left at first stop light into main entrance. Follow signs to Show Car parking, Lots #10 & 11, behind Building 134.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I might be.. Have an elise one now though like Raid look better.. Post pics? Would be AWESOME if could get a model with the flat bottom!

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is chatter that people already have taken delivery of Raid wheels from a person in Minnesota that also has access to Porsche and BMW hub adapters. Are you still selling SE tires or is the group buy over?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sanj for the heads up. It's been a while since I have seen any of the Lotus Corps members. Its been like 12 years or so. I'll try and make it but I have big family event on my wife's side so it may be difficult for me to get away.

Kenny, funny you should mention about the Elise wheel. At the Saturday car breakfast I frequently attend with Tim I brought a few of the airbag wheels with me so people could take a peek and do the touchy feely thing. People did comment that the Raid wheel more closely followed the classic look of the non airbag Lotus wheels similar to the pre 90 Esprit's than the Elise wheel. The Elise wheel is a big improvement over the GM wheel that's for sure but the big round airbag and silver spokes does not seem to flow as well with the earlier interiors and many peoples opinion is that it seems to blend better with the 98 and later V8's, Elise, etc. and some even own an Elise. That's just peoples personal opinions. Kenny, you have a great looking car. Sorry I don't get into custom orders like individuals in the past year have done. The flat bottom wheels cost a lot from FVD Brombacher in FL. Even from Europe after currency exchange, shipping, import duty, etc it ends up at or just over 1K. So I only sell what I have on hand and attempt to deliver discount pricing

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thanks! Please post pics of the ones you have on hand, pricing, etc. THANKS!

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Please post pics of the ones you have on hand, pricing, etc. THANKS!
[/URL]
For now I'm keeping the one wood finish wheel and just selling the silver and CF style finish. But depending how the color match of my dash panels I am refinishing I may keep or sell it on the outcome. If don't like the veneer I will go with a CF on dash and a matching wheel. Here are the close ups of the different wheels.

I did release a few steering wheels on trade for other items I needed. Some were part trade and cash. But that is all done for now. It is uncertain if I can get anymore steering wheels in the future.

The tread matched tires in the correct SE sizes of recent manufacture are also all gone as I only had a few sets sent from Europe.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Pricing?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of hub is required?
I am not quite sure which hub adapter I am going to offer with the wheels. Anyone that knows me is aware that I research things to death till I exhaust all option. Whatever way it turns out will make sense to me and the buyer.

This is one option I am leaning towards.
Depending on how the adapter/spline plate is mounted on the 5 hole column cover it will move the wheel closer to or at the furthest distance allowing for small adjustments for driver comfort. It will also allow the sale of steering wheels with adapter kits to RUF, Porsche, BMW, AMG, etc owners by just swapping out the spline plate.

The profit margins will be slim for what I will sell the hubs for but it is a very cost effective method and the fit and finish will be good. Still debating if I want to go through the trouble of offering another source of hub/adapters as I consider one of the other hub supplier a good friend.

Just been side tracked with family vacations and trying to get my car road ready by Sept. But if you know which style of wheel you might be interested I will hold them in reserve for the Lotus offering. A sample of the hub adapter is on the way and I want to see how it looks and fits before I offer it to others. I have been around the Lotus community so long it would be awful if I pre sold a POS.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just love my Raid steering wheel, it makes the cabin look so much more modern and refreshed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Hi Cal,

I sent you a PM, I have access to an adapter already and interested in one of your wheels. Let me know if you are stil interested in selling one.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Pricing?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If the Raid steering is the same diameter as the original -- I don't want one. It's nice, don't get me wrong. I still like the Elise/exige 'cause smaller than the original and I can get in and out easy. When I'm working underneath, really helps a lot....and it does look sports car steering wheels. Seems i put 10 more horsepower...lol:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Cal, hold the CF one you refer to above, will give definite yay or nay after get a couple things off my plate here at office, got in late due to taking Esprit to shop for check up, clutch adjustment/bleed, etc. this am.. :)

If cannot hold for a few hours I understand..

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the Raid steering is the same diameter as the original -- I don't want one. It's nice, don't get me wrong. I still like the Elise/exige 'cause smaller than the original and I can get in and out easy. When I'm working underneath, really helps a lot....and it does look sports car steering wheels. Seems i put 10 more horsepower...lol:
LOL the original wheel is huge I think it is like 385mm out of a GM coupe or sedan.

Like anything else there is a balance between functionality and aesthetics. A smaller wheel needed for our cars is a given. How small is debatable. The Elise/Exige is a smaller car with a smaller steering wheel which looks fine and is a rather spartan car patterned after a track car. I have never seen a Elise wheel in an Esprit in person but I have seen a 320mm (12.5") race wheel and it does not flow with the interior in a larger car. A 340mm (13.3") is a little better but still cuts sight line of gauges with a full instrumentation pod. A 360mm (about a 14") is a better fit both being smaller with improved sight lines of the gauges for a street car. Race cars do not need the luxury of gauge placement and interior flow of the aesthetics.. I like to think the Esprit is a civilized sports car with A/C, carpeting full leather interior and an attempt at sound dampening. So I feel the Raid wheel fits the character of the car that resembles the wheel found in the pre airbag Esprit as well as being the same size as the original wheel before the airbag was introduced.

There is no doubt the Elise wheel is a big improvement over the GM wheel but I prefer the cleaner looks of the flat triangular airbag pad leaning more towards he classic look than the round airbag pad. I would have liked the Elise wheel if it resembled the Euro non airbag wheels which do not have the big round airbag. But that is a personal opinion like you have with your preference of the Elise airbag wheel.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts