The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, have anyone of you here encountered rain leaking into your ride? Mine seems to have rain leaked in when parking at a stationary position and there is no flood. My ride have been through heavy rains lots of time. But this is the first time it leak in and my whole carpet was wet and under my chair was wet too. What puzzles me was that it did not leaked through the hardtop or the windows. My seats, dash and the area behind the seats were not wet at all. Can any kind soul over here advice me or share their experience with me. Thank you.

:panic::panic::panic:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
One area to check:

I had a small gap near the top front of my passenger side window of my 2005 Elise. Parked on a slight hill with the car leaning to the left, this gap allowed enough water to come in overnight to get my driver's side carpet wet. Look for small gaps near the tops of the windows and adjust accordingly. Look for any evidence of water trails on the side rail plastic. However, you might get :tadts: as a response. It is a Lotus.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:(

But I have parked in heavy rains b4 on a even road, not slopes and did not encounter this issue. Might it be something that is loose or anything that is defect that cause the whole floor board to be wet. :panic::panic:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I don't know the answer to your situation, but what I wanted to point out is that in a little over eight hours, a small leak allowed enough water in to really wet the floor on the opposite side of the car of the leak. Try the search function as I am sure there are many possible leaks that have been discussed.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
My entire carpets used to be wet after track days in the rain.
There is a grommet somewhere under the dash to feed a harness thru the firewall, and the water was coming thru that grommet. It took two attempts at the dealer to try and seal it (under warranty). They told me they used silicone sealant and checked by taking a garden hose and spraying water on the car near the access panel on the driver side

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My entire carpets used to be wet after track days in the rain.
There is a grommet somewhere under the dash to feed a harness thru the firewall, and the water was coming thru that grommet. It took two attempts at the dealer to try and seal it (under warranty). They told me they used silicone sealant and checked by taking a garden hose and spraying water on the car near the access panel on the driver side
So now everything's fine after the dealer seals it for you?
Btw my warrenty's over. Is it hard to d.i.y myself using silicone sealant to seal it?

Thanks Mr.C

·
Registered
194 Posts
This sounds familiar. Sometimes after a hard rain I find a few drops on my driver's side floor mat. Never enough to worry me too much, but it would be nice to seal it if possible. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One Lotus, two Lotus...

Yeah, in the UK, they drive in rain, even with the A048 tires...

Lotuses are not to be driving in rain.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
So now everything's fine after the dealer seals it for you?
Btw my warrenty's over. Is it hard to d.i.y myself using silicone sealant to seal it?

Thanks Mr.C
I had it out in the rain after the dealer fixed it the second time, and the issue seems to be gone now.
I wouldn't think that it's hard to do by yourself.
I would recommend to have someone help you to hose down the car with a garden hose while you're inside trying to locate the leak.
Then just get some silicone sealant and seal that area...

That's how I would approach it...

·
Registered
949 Posts
it says it can be expected to leak.

have fun
Not even just the manual...mine has a bloody sticker above the window that says rain will get in lol. I've only parked it in the rain maybe twice, but both times at least one of the side sills was pretty wet. I think it depended on which way the car was tilted. It really wasn't too bad, especially since I was expecting it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
used to sail El Toro

and we kept a bucket in the boat to bail the water out. Might try that.

Car was meant to be driven in the rain. Handles great.

I changed out the wires (as one wore out) in the top. The replacement comes with turnbuckles Made it just a tad tighter and have no leaking now.

have fun

Nick

·
Super Moderator
1,806 Posts
Is it different with the soft top and the hard top? I have the soft top and it always seems different, but I have never had a puddle of water inside the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found the leaking!!

The rain leak through the passenger foot rest area. There seems to be a gap that allows the rain to leak in. Think I might need to silicon that area.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Is it different with the soft top and the hard top? I have the soft top and it always seems different, but I have never had a puddle of water inside the car.
I've never used a hard top but with my soft top rain gets in all the time. Most of it comes in from behind the passenger window. If I leave it parked in the rain for long the passenger door sill will be covered in water. I keep a towel in my trunk and cover the passenger sill with it any time I park the car outside. It seems to get the job done. Luckily I don't have carpets so water easily wipes away if any gets on the floors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts