The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with an elevated rev limit? What's the easiest way to raise the rev limit on our cars?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
yeah, the consensus is to take along a dustpan and brush when you do it.
read the technical threads, they will be of great use.
blower seems to be the way.
V-F and turbophil are most interesting.
read carefully any post by charliex. it'll be fact.
good luck, sam

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
yeah, the consensus is to take along a dustpan and brush when you do it.
read the technical threads, they will be of great use.
blower seems to be the way.
V-F and turbophil are most interesting.
read carefully any post by charliex. it'll be fact.
good luck, sam
hehe, spot on with the dustpan...

OP- You should be looking to find ways to lower the rev limiter...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got titanium conrods, lightweight valves and upgraded valve springs so I expect it to be able to handle the increased revs with no problem. I'm wondering if there is any advantage to adding a few 100 extra revs and whether there is power drop-off.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've raised the limit a few 100 on a couple of cars, no problems so far, just don't mis-shift when you're near the limit.
Charlie X, I'm interested, and my I've got upgraded valvetrain. Can you do one for me as well?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I've got titanium conrods, lightweight valves and upgraded valve springs so I expect it to be able to handle the increased revs with no problem. I'm wondering if there is any advantage to adding a few 100 extra revs and whether there is power drop-off.
The only thing I would be wary of is the oil pump. Supposedly it may not maintain structural integrity above 9300 rpm.

Good luck and keep us posted on the result!

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
oil pump, valves, springs, and pressure plate are all critters that break with higher revs if left in stock form. If the OP has got this stuff renewed with better bits, than have at it. CX is your guy for that...

Not that it matters a whole lot, but why are you interested in raising the revs? I've thought about doing it for a quick and dirty drag strip run. I figure 4th is only good to 112-114ish so being able to rev to 9000 or so would allow trap speeds to 120ish mph... outside of that, I can't think of anything else???

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
172 Posts
Put a Honda F20C and call it a day. :)
You can do 9k all day.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oil pump, valves, springs, and pressure plate are all critters that break with higher revs if left in stock form. If the OP has got this stuff renewed with better bits, than have at it. CX is your guy for that...

Not that it matters a whole lot, but why are you interested in raising the revs? I've thought about doing it for a quick and dirty drag strip run. I figure 4th is only good to 112-114ish so being able to rev to 9000 or so would allow trap speeds to 120ish mph... outside of that, I can't think of anything else???

Best,

Phil
I'm looking at various ways to increase the power. It may be easier to boost things up but there are always consequences unless there is a total engineering solution.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not sure why you would want to increase the rev-limiter. I'm not an expert but I thought power and torque have already peaked once you get close to the current rev-limit.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
A stock K20 is good for 8600 rpm for street, 8300 rpm hard use / racing. Above that the pistons come apart.

A stock F20C has forged piston and rods, and they at fine at 9000 rpm. The only weakness I know is that the stock retainers break on high mileage engines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.