The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a house with a 4 car garage. The ceiling measures 8', so it is sort of short. I thought about removing the ceiling and going with a vaulted look inside, but the pitch of the roof is very flat, not totally flat but maybe another 3-4 feet at the top, so fairly flat. So, I'm thinking I'd like to raise the ceiling (and thus the roof) of the garage and was wondering if anyone has done this? I'd like to go up 2-3' in height (inside the garage), the only way I would know of doing this is to total demo the current roof, then add up, but don't know if there is a way to actually 'jack' up the roof or not. So, was wondering if anyone has had experience raising the roof of an existing garage and if they could share with me their experience.

Darin

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
you pretty much have to remove the roof... you can re-use the "whatever" framing. that is - take off the shingles and plywood etc, take down the framing (assuming its pre-fab/engineered joist) then build a new wall 2-3 feet on top of your existing wall, then build a new roof (using the old framing material may be an option) now thats all pretty easy unless that roof ties into the rest of the houses, then you will have to do some of the same to tie into the new geometry you are creating, if there is even enough elevation to tie it in?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yep - Fit fan is correct, It would really help to know if it is an attached structure or free standing, Mason or wood frame! maybe even throw in a pic!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

I'll get some pics tonight, goot thing is that it is a 4 car DETACHED free standing garage and the siding is stucco.

How about garage door ideas, I have some plan garage doors, they are steel and insulated, so I am not in a hurry to replace them, but I was thinking of something more classy, but doesn't have to be car related.

When I bought the house, I did have the garage walls and ceiling insulated, sheet rocked, textured and painted. Also put in a TON of cabinets and we are still using one of the car bays for our 'junk' stuff. I'll get somepics inside and out.

The nice things is that we are sitting on 1.75 acres, which is a treat in Silicon Valley CA! I have ample room to expand to either side of the garage and/or buy a storage shed to free up the car bay that has 'junk' in it right now.

My wife is not so hip on buying a storage shed as she thinks that the one car bay is just fine for storage! ;-)

Yep - Fit fan is correct, It would really help to know if it is an attached structure or free standing, Mason or wood frame! maybe even throw in a pic!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I am still unclear of wall construction - Stucco can be applied to CDX (plywood) sheets then mesh over wood frame or Stucco can be applied to Mason (Block) - I agree you can reuse your existing truss package if you leave it as is and just raise your walls. Depending on your Roof to wall connection it can be pretty straight forward, Mason you will more than likely find Straps that wrap over the tails of your truss and just nailed. Wood Frame you will find straps or clips or toe-nailed if really old for the connection. It really depends on when the home was built and the current building codes at the time of construction. Determine your roof pitch 4/12 - 6/12 etc... Either way it is doable. Call a couple of licensed GC's and get itemized estimates including any permitting fees because there would be nothing worse than having some buddies come over to raise the roof and then get red tagged by code enforcement. I would not "Vault" a garage because you would compromise the integrity of the structure and not be able to properly brace the gable ends.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
As my engineering father likes to say, "Anything can be done...with enough money."

On a large lot, they can probably get a crane in there to lift the roof (after it's attachment points have been severed and it has been properly braced. if the roof was stick built, it will require more bracing than if the roof is a web truss design. pre-build the cripple walls on the ground; set them in place and plop the roof back down. The finish work will take the longest.

Tom

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

The wall construction is plywood over stick frame and then stucco ontop of the plywood. This is California and stucco, for the most part, cannot be applied over Mason block due to Earthquake standards. This is NOT meant to be a blanket statement, as one poster said, 'anything can be done with money'. It just takes A LOT more money to put stucco over Mason in Ca.

I get the gernal idea that one must have the roof taken off and start over, mostly trying to reuse as much as possible.

Oh, you can indeed 'vault' the ceilings with a span of 23', just takes some extra bracing. But that is not the look I am going for at this point.

I'm not looking to do this myself and thus I'd do everything permit wise, they are actually starting to crack down on country property outbuildings in CA because a majority of them are done without permits.

Darin

I am still unclear of wall construction - Stucco can be applied to CDX (plywood) sheets then mesh over wood frame or Stucco can be applied to Mason (Block) - I agree you can reuse your existing truss package if you leave it as is and just raise your walls. Depending on your Roof to wall connection it can be pretty straight forward, Mason you will more than likely find Straps that wrap over the tails of your truss and just nailed. Wood Frame you will find straps or clips or toe-nailed if really old for the connection. It really depends on when the home was built and the current building codes at the time of construction. Determine your roof pitch 4/12 - 6/12 etc... Either way it is doable. Call a couple of licensed GC's and get itemized estimates including any permitting fees because there would be nothing worse than having some buddies come over to raise the roof and then get red tagged by code enforcement. I would not "Vault" a garage because you would compromise the integrity of the structure and not be able to properly brace the gable ends.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You either need to go to your local building dept or find a contractor or structural engineer. You will get your best information there. What you are trying to do is fairly difficult. In CA you probably will not get away simply lifting the roof and building a pony wall on top of your existing walls. An engineer might design a connection and the building dept might buy it because it is an unoccupied, detached garage. Probably not though. If you replace your existing roof framing with vaulted trusses you will need to rebuild your gable end walls and balloon frame to the bottom chord (ceiling line). You could design a coffered truss that starts at your 8' plate line and then steps up to your required height a few feet from the wall. You would still have 8' garage doors but could put a lift or something inside.
Whatever you do, you will still need plans, permits etc. to be legit. Also, double check overall building height requirements for your area, that may limit your possibilites as well. I run a roof truss plant in Madera (not far from you). Feel free to PM me if you have other quetions.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It sounds like you are getting some good advice on this thread and I would take Chromedome's offer because I know he will give you a "LOTUS" discount. :) Have fun on your project and keep us updated with pics! Also, Check with your Insurance company to see if you can qualify for any discounts on construction since you are going to be making changes! Gable bracing, roof to wall connections, SWB= peel and stick underlayment on roof etc... now would be the time to do it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,

Thanxs for the advice guys, just wanted to get an idea as to what I am up against. I worked with a contractor to do an expansion on the house last summer, I'm going to have him come out and give me a 'rough' idea as to what I'm looking at. I also worked with an Architect/Engineering group so I can re-engage them once I get a sense for the scope and cost of this project.

Darin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts