The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Exige S 260 and on more than one occasion it has stalled when at a light. This is not a driver error (as in clutch) but rather a low idle that has happened on a couple occasions. Most of the time it has been when less than 10 miles or less have been driven after starting up.

The other time was right after a new tank of gas.

The car has stalled out like 5,6 times or more on my first 400 miles in the vehicle.

Any ideas on what would cause this beside driver error - which is not the case and or how to resolve it?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yes, this has been happening on Exiges (at least) since they first came out. I never got it solved on mine until I did the Rev300 upgrade - but that changed the entire intake and exhaust so I can't say if any one change (like a tune) would have fixed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not what I wanted to hear...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Oh sorry. What I meant to say is "Yes, this is a known problem. If you just click the remote button three times, the problem will be resolved permanently." :)

I got used to blipping the throttle when I was coming to a stop because of this - very annoying!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
As I recall (it's been a while since I looked) some people had reported improvements with new tunes - you might talk to Phil or Andrew at BoE/Kold-Fire about this.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It's not hopeless. Give your dealer a shot at fixing it, it's not universal, and shouldn't be happening. The dealer should carefully check for a vacuum or exhaust leak (a pre-cat exhaust leak can mess up the front O2 sensor reading). They should also do a test drive and check the fuel trims. Lot's of fixable things can cause idle problems.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have had 3 Exiges - 2 of those supercharged. My 07 stalled occasionally when coming to a stop, most often when on an incline. My 260 has only stalled twice in the entire time I have owned it.

By the way, your car isn't a Sport 260 (as your signature shows) - its a final edition.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Should have bought a 2010....
Just kidding, mine does this as well.
I am getting ready to flash a Koldfire 280 tune for smaller pulley/etc. and I suspect it will go away.
I will update Wednesday after I install tune......

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 07 Exige S developed a stalling issue last September. After every gas stop it would stall on the second stop. It didn't matter if I was in stop and go traffic or drove down the highway. It would always stall on the second stop I made.

I installed a FPR and it hasn't stalled since. Although, I noticed Sunday at a stop light the RPMs were fluctuating from 2k to 500rpm for maybe 30 seconds then it settled down at about 1k.

·
Registered
796 Posts
not an exige, but my elise seems to stall the first hour of driving if i don't drive it for 2 weeks... and or replace the gas before i do not drive.

happened to me this last weekend when i took it out. within the first hour it stalled about 6 times at lights. the rest of the weekend... nothing. all gravy. (put about 150 miles on it after that)

on a side note... if i leave it in the garage idling to warm up (with the door open of course) it doesn't seem to die. i haven't tested this theory yet. usually i get in and within a minute are on the roads staying under 4krpm until it gets warm.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Um, When I got my 05 the previous owner said he had the same problems when switching between 95 and 93 octane and i think between certain brands. rough idle and stalling at lights for a while until the car adjusted to the new fuel...

·
Registered
668 Posts
The dealer should also check and clean the various electrical connectors, esp. the MAF and throttle body connectors, check the air filter, clean the MAF, and make sure the air box is properly buttoned up.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My stock Elise does this too, usually for the first few minutes until the water temp has registered. Are you constantly taking very short trips?

A local Lotus shop suggested that the idle revs could be raised. As others have noted, they also mentioned that installing a supercharger sometimes fixes the issue (on Elises anyway).

·
Registered
140 Posts
My fix for this issue is always have your foot in a heel toe position when your braking. If the idle gets goofy or looks like it might stall give it some gas and it comes back to life. Works for me. Annoying yes. But it keeps the car from stalling.

·
Registered
796 Posts
neurowave - yes.

mister 2 - my only fear is the goofball behind me might take my letting off the brake to indicate i am moving forward and get rear ended. (tail lights turn off red = moving forward)

i know it would be their fault, but it would end up being my problem.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I believe I had a similar problem with my S. Every now and then the car would stall as I came to a stop. It would happen as I slowed down and depressed the clutch. Seems like the rpm's would drop a little too much and then the engine would die. I didn't change anything other than a Koldfire 270 tune at that time and I haven't stalled since (i hope i didn't jinx myself).

Too bad you have a 260 because you probably wouldn't gain much from something like the Koldfire 270 tune.

I agree with AustinP that in the meantime you should check for vacuum and/or exhaust leaks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts