The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting a random intermittent beep from the alarm. The car is unlocked in my garage. Alarm telltale light is flashing. Occasionally (spaced 30 minutes or more apart), I'll get a hear a single beep, not unlike the arming sound. Alarm functions as normal when locked. Started noticing the issue after the car was left outside during a heavy rainstorm and the alarm was triggered. Car is normally hooked up to a battery tender, but the condition persists regardless if hooked up or not. Anyone out there have any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
That is usually caused by the boot being not closed properly, or one of the front access panels not being tighten down all the way. Sometimes the front access panels screws loosen. Or if you have recently removed a panel it may not be inserted under the tab properly. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did have the front access panels off a couple of weeks ago. I'll re-seat the panels when I get home tonight, see if that does the trick. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I did have the front access panels off a couple of weeks ago. I'll re-seat the panels when I get home tonight, see if that does the trick. Thanks.
There is a tab on the center that needs to be slipped under for proper assembly. It happens quite frequently when reinstalling them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That is usually caused by the boot being not closed properly, or one of the front access panels not being tighten down all the way. Sometimes the front access panels screws loosen. Or if you have recently removed a panel it may not be inserted under the tab properly. Good luck.
Isn't that a continual tone when you arm the alarm.
Alarm functions as normal when locked.
That seems to invalidate the former possible reason.

Could the microwave sensor be issuing some kind of pre-warning without setting off the alarm, as that would be armed with the car unlocked.

Cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't that a continual tone when you arm the alarm.

That seems to invalidate the former possible reason.

Could the microwave sensor be issuing some kind of pre-warning without setting off the alarm, as that would be armed with the car unlocked.

Cheers.
The issue persists with the panels reseated. I confirmed that it is a continuous tone with the trunk open or panels off.

I've also tested with the microwave sensor both on and off. No change in mysterious beeping.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Few things to try;
1) Check that the interior light is in the down position.
2) Make sure alarm arms normally (no long tones) indicating all opening are closed.
3) With alarm/immobilizer disarmed, disconnect the battery, and then reconnect.
4) The last time I heard of an occurrence it was the siren battery leaking and messing up the internals.
Michael

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Few things to try;
1) Check that the interior light is in the down position.
2) Make sure alarm arms normally (no long tones) indicating all opening are closed.
3) With alarm/immobilizer disarmed, disconnect the battery, and then reconnect.
4) The last time I heard of an occurrence it was the siren battery leaking and messing up the internals.
Michael
Thanks for your input.

I confirmed 1 and 2, and tried disconnecting the battery with the alarm and immobilizer disarmed. The beep occurred within minutes of reconnecting the battery, so I repeated the process, this time leaving it disconnected longer. Same result.

Is the siren battery easily accessible for inspection?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bringing back my thread on this. Can anyone confirm where the siren battery is located? Is it part of the alarm unit and immobilizer module, located behind the passenger side cubby?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Bringing back my thread on this. Can anyone confirm where the siren battery is located? Is it part of the alarm unit and immobilizer module, located behind the passenger side cubby?

Thanks.
The battery is inside of the siren and is difficult to replace.
Michael

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bringing this thread back for some (embarrassing) closure. As it turns out the random beep I was hearing wasn't from my car at all! It was my Verizon FIOS communications panel on the wall a few feet from the car, alerting me to a low battery. It has the exact same tone as the car alarm. I would have gladly let this thread quietly disappear into the ether, but another poster here had the exact same issue and ended up spending a few hours of diagnosis before coming to the same conclusion. I figure if there is a potential to save a third person from some unnecessary time wasting, then it's probably worth posting. So, yeah, if you're hearing random beeps from your car alarm, make sure they are actually coming from the car!

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
As it turns out the random beep I was hearing wasn't from my car at all!
Just wait until you get older and it will get even weirder. I was visiting a friend and we stepped out into his shop one afternoon. I heard a high-frequency electronic alarm go off briefly and didn't think much of it when it stopped. The next day, I heard it again. The third day I heard it, I asked my friend, "What is that alarm?" He said "What alarm?"

It turns out he couldn't hear the alarm frequency. It was a little digital watch in his toolbox that had an alarm feature . . . it had been going off every day at 2:00 pm literally for years!

Glen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts