The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you feel the same way as I do. Driving is my passion. My Elise is enhances driving and now becomes an obsession. I want to enjoy the driving experience. Now the gas prices are high, I have to specialize the experience. Driving on the track, in the canyons and weekend Lotus driving is a luxury, but I will not reduce it.

Driving the roads to work and back is not driving. It's a chore to go to point A to point B, in horrendous traffic. This is not a driving experience. I can see why people aren't driving anymore, they are commuting in cars that more than an appliance on wheels. This is not driving, in my opinion. As the high cost of fuel rises, it causes decisions. The daily driver disappears. Carpools, public transportation, bicycles, walking, working at home are viable solutions. I see the change of commuting, but not my change of my driving experience.

But as the luxury, the passion, the obsession of the driving experience in my Elise on the weekends will not change. This is a way of my life. :shift:

Selfish? Not really. I'll give up the major part of fuel use on the week days. But give me the open the road on my days off.....

I hope you feel the same, but other opinions are welcomed.

(Why do I keep thinking of Mopho in his Caterham? Now THAT is THE driving experience!):D

--Hal

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think I understand what you are getting at.

Driving to work is not driving; I would define that as commuting. You just happen to be steering an auto instead of riding on a bus, cycling..or whatever, to your place of work.

I am very fortunate. I walk 4 short blocks to work. Even before the current gas crisis, I still walked to work or cycled and would get bummed if I had to take the Audi. Sort of that same bummed-out child-like feeling that you couldn't hold you breath as long as your pal's or something silly like that.

I will GLADLY rough it and walk or cycle to work knowing that when my free time arrives, I will have quality seat time.

Hence my recent order of the 2008 Elise SC :nanner:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have been driving like a granny trying to get the most MPG out of my daily driver.

But I go balls-to-the-wall when I get my Elise out.

If you can afford it, just enjoy it while you can.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
anytime i get a chance to drive the lotus is a good time, canyon/autoX/errands/or rush hour traffic, its ALL good

as far as being a luxury, i guess it depends, to me if its something you can afford without breaking the bank and is not a neccessity it is essentially a "LUXURY"

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Living in a country where almost everyone has a car or can afford one is a luxury. Most of the world lives like sh*t. Take nothing for granted.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The gas prices have not changed my style of driving or the cars I choose to drive. So I do not consider driving them a Luxury, I think of it as a hobby, is that a luxury?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My elise is my daily driver. It's therefore both a luxury and necessity, and quite the luxury this necessity is!

There isn't a morning when I don't enjoy the long rounding highway entry ramp. Most often leaving the SUV that was riding my a$$ far behind in the rearview mirror around said coner.

Rarely is the morning when I don't get a look, stare or thumbs up. Everytime I get out of the car at work, I'm speechless at the beauty and how lucky I am to drive this car every day.

I find different routes home each week to experience new sensations about the car.

The question then is: has the commute become a driving experience that I'm lucky enough to have twice every day?

Just something to think about.;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Lotus is a necessity!

Didn't know it at the time, but I was waiting for the Lotus basically my entire adult life. Words do not come to me to express the shear joy of driving since the Lotus arrived - I know most others feel the same. Thus, it's become a necessity for me, not a luxury. Only regret is the New England winters, but that makes the actual driving season even more enjoyable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts