The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, everyone who's driven an Elise will tell you what a great handling car it is, so I'm going to give you the random thoughts that no one else will bother with -- stuff unrelated to performance. This is real stream-of-consciousness stuff from a new owner:

- Let's start off with the basics -- this is a 6-speed transmission. Don't laugh -- it never occurred to me, until I'd driven 200 miles and some kid pointed it out to me in the parking lot. How embarrassing! :eek: I've never had a 6-speed, so I never even thought of it! Maybe I'm not really Elise material. :rolleyes:

- MUCH nicer interior than the Euro demos we saw. None of that alcantra (sp?) stuff. Quality goods, put together nicely.

- Inflatable lumbar supports on the seats -- oooooooh!

- The build quality is amazing. This thing is solid as a brick, even over rough pavement. Firm, but solid. Absolutely no rattles whatsoever. When you hit a pothole, the whole car feels like one piece. (Note, tho, that due to rain, I haven't removed the hardtop yet.)

- The radio is a mixed bag. For a car that eschews bling, this radio is bling personified. Gaudy red, white and blue lighting, words scrolling across the screen, and lights flashing everywhere. But, fortunately, it has settings to turn off most of that stuff, and to change some of the display colors to cool blue, instead of gaudy red. And, tho very bling, the radio has tons of strange options. It even has settings for Driver Only, or for Driver & Passenger: when you set up the radio, you use the enclosed mic (!) to have the system automatically adjust the balance, fade, etc., to be optimal for each of the settings. Once set, you just press the appropriate button, depending on whether you're alone or with a passenger. :eek: Crutchfield sells the radio for about $470!

- My alarm is TOO sensitive! In a rainstorm, it rang repeatedly (and it's LOUD!). Ask your dealer to check the sensitivity before you leave.

- Figuring out how to turn off the alarm (until I can have the sensitivity adjusted), and still lock the car, was a bit of a trial! Whenever you use the keyfob to lock the doors, the alarm is automatically set. You simply can't use the internal locking mechanism without setting the alarm. So here's the secret -- put the alarm system in "valet" mode by putting the key in the ignition (and turning it), then pressing the small button on the fob until the car beeps twice. Now, get out, close the doors and do NOT use the fob to lock it. Instead, then turn the key in the lock (on each side). Now, the car LOOKS like it's unlocked, cause the pins in the doors are in the "up" position, but when you press the button on the outside of the door, the door won't open. Very strange.

- My dealer had cool Lotus ballpoint pens -- green plastic with the Lotus logo -- for just $1.66! Apparently, that's the retail. Sweet little item, oh-so-cheap. Treat yourself to a bunch, and feel like a big spender.

- The hardtop comes with a bag, but it's a thin one. I doubt you can hang the hardtop on wall hooks using that bag. Lotus offers a much more padded one, with mounting hardware to hang it on a wall, for $207.

- This car really is a friggin go-kart on wheels. Stripped-down sports car. No cruise control, no rear defroster, no glovebox, no reclining seats, little padding, and NO CUPHOLDERS! :huh: When I got back in my MR2 Spyder this morning, I thought I was in a luxury car!

Now if it would only stop raining so I could take the hardtop off, get out on a dry road, and really test this thing!
:(

·
Registered
178 Posts
A go kart on wheels?

Funny, my crg kali 125 has wheels... tires even, and a steering wheel, so is it equal to an elise?
(Plus it can pull 2.5+gs in a turn :) )

How about "Its fells like a kart with a body ontop?" That might be a bit more proper of a statement....

Scot
Yes, I am just jealous. Please bear with me for the next 12 months as I wait for my elise.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
PINMAGIC - want to hear a weird one? My E500 Mercedes has a seven (7) speed automatic/manual transmission - who knew?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
A few more random thoughts after 450 miles...

1) The radio bass is awful. Apparently my only solution, without tearing up the interior, is to amp the speakers. I mostly drive with it off anyway, but eventually on a long trip....

2) XM fits nicely under the A/C-heater controls, between the seats.. My pics are too big, or I'd attach one.

3) The doors close nice and tight. No GM car here!

4) V V is something you use only to prove a point. That point, of course, is that you can kick someone else's ass all over the road. It's not generally needed or in use in my driving, and I'm aggressive.

5) Your garage door opener goes nicely up around the tiny sun visors. Since it's tucked under the window support, it's not all that visable. Put your personal info (registration, insurance, etc) in the trunk.

6) The tires break loose really easy on wet roads. Too easy. It's very difficult on dry (I haven't been able to do it yet)

7) The low beams don't show much in front of you. At speed you'd better have the high beams on, unless you want a very bad surprise at some point..

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Surferjer said:

6) The tires break loose really easy on wet roads. Too easy. It's very difficult on dry (I haven't been able to do it yet)
how many miles do you have on them though?

they're still greasy I assume

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Think he's got 450 miles on it. Mid- engine cars with preformance tires don't do well in the wet. The Elise may be better then most. Still something to be aware of , more so after you get use to the dry grip. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does the radio natively control the XM system? (Though I would personally prefer it to control sirius..)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
With an observer watching you drive the car, they can check to see if one wheel keeps breaking loose before the other. As opposed to both wheels spinning. If so, a limited slip would help out. I think that a gear type Quaife or clutch type unit can be fitted to the Toyota gearbox. Supposedly around the end of the year limited slips will be an option from the factory. You can always add them in any event.

Stan

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The XM question-not sure what you mean. XM plays through my radio (channel 87.9 FM), and the stereo controls the output to the speakers. Does that answer it? It's pretty slick. And looks natural.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
_JD_ said:
$1.66 for the pens eh? My dealer charged me $5.00 each.:huh:
Newport gave them to all of us for free.

I hope Christine is doing well, wherever she is.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Surferjer said:
The XM question-not sure what you mean. XM plays through my radio (channel 87.9 FM), and the stereo controls the output to the speakers. Does that answer it? It's pretty slick. And looks natural.

which xm radio do you have? how about a photo of it in the elise?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
_JD_ said:
$1.66 for the pens eh? My dealer charged me $5.00 each.:huh:
Was it the green one shown on this page?
http://www.foxvalleymotorcars.com/lotusacc.html

Fox Valley's prices seem high. I saw the official Lotus retail/wholesale price list, and the pen's suggested retail (not wholesale) is $1.66. And that's what I paid.

Fox Valley is asking $63 for a Polo shirt, but the official Lotus site sells them for about $42.

The hardtop bag that I bought retails for $207 -- wholesale was over $170, so I'd say that's a pretty small markup. Markups varied.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK -- more random thoughts:

- Finally removed the hardtop (it finally stopped raining for a few minutes!). It's easy, tho I don't think I got the torx wrench that was supposed to be supplied with the car. (Had my own, fortunately.) It's very light. One person can do it, tho I had a friend help, just to be safe.

- With the soft top on (instead of the hardtop), the car is much more open and airy inside, partly cause the top is thinner, and partly cause you remove a bulky header at the top of the windshield when you remove the hardtop.

- Installing and removing the soft top is easy. About 2 or 3 minutes to do.

- Interestingly, the manual says you should expect leaks from the soft top AND the hard top!

- I LOVE this car with the top off! Now, THAT's what an Elise is all about -- open air driving.

- Man, I am slow on the uptake on this car. I thought it was strange there was no jack, but then I realized THERE'S NO SPARE TIRE! ... AND NO CUPHOLDERS! :D

- Figured out the alarm. There IS a way to use the fob to lock the car, and have it armed without the (overly-sensitive) motion sensor. It's in the book.

- I don't care for the little dual-purpose button on the steering column. Works both odometer reset AND dash dimming. Press briefly to reset the odometer, or press and hold for dimming. It's just too easy to reset the odometer when you were intending to dim the dash. Not a good marriage of functions in one button.

But I think I can live with it! :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
How long is the waiting list for a pen?

Is Lotus having distribution problems with them too?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts