The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to ask a favor. Our car seems to be getting hot while sitting still or in slow moving traffic. For instance, on the insterstate the other day we hit a big delay due to a wreck. Once stopped/slowed the car heated up about 30 degrees more than normal very quickly.

George thinks our fans may not be turning on.

Would you guys mind paying attention and letting me know what temperature your car is at idle after being driven on the expressway?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Jenn,
My car got as high as 215 F and no higher while stuck in Atlanta traffic, the cooling fans come on at two different points. Low speed fans at around 208 F and hi speed at 217f. The cooling system has a boilover point of 248F and the temp readout flashes at 226F.

The fans also run when the airconditioning is on as well.

Regular temp around town driving is in the 180-190 range for me.
Page 53 has temp info
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Speaking for myself, I can't tell because when you go full throttle, it covers up anything else happening including screaming passengers and unintended bodily functions. :eek:

It's hard to tell when the compressor goes on, so it's harder to tell when it switches off at full throttle (assuming it really does, does your refrigerator light really go off?).

Jen, I have noticed any temps above 200.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
JD,
As Randy says, I certainly can't tell if it cuts off, all you hear is this huge angry roar from the engine!! GReat sound.

To followup Jenn, my read from the manual is up to 217 is ok. Mine only came close when I was bogged in Atlanta rush hour traffic for half hour in 95+ degree heat when the car registered 215. As a rule you should pretty much see 190 or thereabout in normal usage.

Chris

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've seen 215 stuck in traffic. I started to worry when I saw 205, and my wife grabbed the manual while we were stuck there to make sure the car was ok. Normal temps hover around 190-95 w/ outside temps around 80. My fans seem to kick in a little earlier than the manual suggests - in the high 190s.

The car cools down very quickly once you get some airflow again. Running hard in clean air - never over 200.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Interesting experience yesterday.

Driving back on the interstate.. some traffic. Not fully stop and go, but slowing down enough to use 1st and 2nd gear only. Temp gauge started climbing. The ambient was about 80-85 degrees. Not hot. I had the A/C on.

Went up to 227 and was flashing. Then started dropping again. I have no idea what caused the rise and then fall.

When I got home, the car was VERY loud. THAT is what both fans sound like. I never noticed them before.

As before, the amount of hot air coming off the front of the car (and over and around the windshield) is amazing. If I put my hand out the window by the mirror, I can feel streams of hot air that makes me think I stuck my hand in an oven.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Don't worry...

Randy Chase said:
...If I put my hand out the window by the mirror, I can feel streams of hot air that makes me think I stuck my hand in an oven.
I know what you mean - Phoenix is basically like that in the summer regardless of what car you're in... :D

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We havent had an incident since we picked the car up last week.....but it was hot last week and this week its very cool here. I'll post up if anything else happens.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Mine has hit 216 on numerous occasions, but never over. It routinely bounces between 187 and 208 in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I was stuck in nasty 405 traffic in LA on the way to my first service. The outside temp was over 100F (Santa Ana winds), traffic not moving (1 mile in 30 minutes) with cars and trucks all around me raising the outside temp even more and the highest read was 209. I didn't hear the fan kick on at all but I don't run the a/c in these conditions. I would rather suffer a little than have my Elise suffer alot. :confused:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>I didn't hear the fan kick on at all but I don't run the a/c in these conditions. I would rather suffer a little than have my Elise suffer alot. <<

The AC won't hurt the Elise. In some cases overall temps may even drop since the radiator fans act differently. With no AC one fan goes on at 208F and the seconf goes on at 218F. With the AC on the fan or fans kick in at lower temps, at a lower fan speed I think.

In any event the Elise is heat tolerant in terms of avoiding overheating - it has a large radiator and the fans don't kick in for some time during traffic. I've never had the full fan power kick in (218F).

Note that in my dyno testing, the car gets heat soaked and won't deliver full output once this occurs. A minute or two of airflow from motion cures this. Our engine compartments have no significant airflow when we are stopped, even if the front fans kick in. Porsche boxsters are water cooled and they have a fan for the engine bay. This would add weight to our cars and in any event the dyno test was worst case - full load in gear with a stationary car followeed by sitting for awhile...engine cover closed.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Stan......that's good to know....thanks.

I need to get it out on an autoX to gt over being over-protective of it. Being a new car and all.......I guess I need to learn to trust it.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
A big deep breath and your first autoX will change your outlook on the car. I know I can push it without killing it. It's great to drive it like any other car, except of course the experience is unlike any other...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts