The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Randy, How Is The Lss????

4K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  eliseowner2b 
#1 ·
Randy,
I Know you drove the non LSS car hard at Tahoe. So how does the LSS compare??

#2 ·
As one might expect, the understeer I could induce in the non-LSS car was a little less there on the LSS car.

It seemed to me that both cars could be made to oversteer, but the LSS car was easier. It took a lot more effort on the non-LSS car to get the back end loose. On the LSS car, the back end came loose a couple times when I was not expecting it (though driving pretty aggressively for street driving on the Tail of the Dragon). It was still easy to catch, but someone with less midengined car experience perhaps should practice more conservative cornering.

I really think that up unto nearing the 10/10ths performance envelope, the cars did not seem that different, specially when you factor in the tires. The LSS tires are of course stickier. Perhaps I need more time to see what the increased envelope is? As I was told by a Lotus engineer, most people will not use the extra performance made available by the LSS and I can now see why he says that.

As far as comfort, I thought the LSS was not significantly stiffer, though certain things like connections to bridges and concrete expansion joints are jarring. And a couple roads had a certain harmonic that caused a bouncing ride.

The LSS tires are noisy and on certain surfaces were very whiny. I mean VERY loud.

#4 ·
During my test drive with the LSS Elise, the only hard part was when we drove over a rail for the parking lot gate.

Other than that, throughout the test drive, I was never reminded that it was a stiffer suspension. Now I'm thinking the non-LSS may be to soft.:rolleyes:

#7 ·
Derek said:
Don't count on it. As I recall roads in New Jersey aren't quite as good as they are in warmer states.
Good point. Our roads in Phoenix (Scottsdale, actually) are pretty smooth.

#9 ·
Derek said:
Don't count on it. As I recall roads in New Jersey aren't quite as good as they are in warmer states.
Very true, some of the roads around me are pretty harsh, and going over the railroad tracks twice a day will be a challenge. But I tolerate stiff suspensions better than anyone I know, so I'm confident that if someone that drove over 2k miles only has those few complaints, I will be very happy. I may even like it a bit stiffer. Can't tell till I actually have the car though.

#11 · (Edited)
Derek said:
Yes our roads up here in the North East just suck compared to roads in other warmer states.

My good friend Ringmeister ( aka Gary ) took delivery from Maplecrest of his red LSS Elise 2 weeks ago. He has complained all along about how harsh the LSS ride is. I listen very carfully to what he has to say since he also owns a real 996 GT3 and he has raced in SCCA ITE and ITB for nearly 15 years. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to suspension feel and ride. I take his word 100%.

I asked him to compare his LSS Elise to his new GT3. He said " the GT3 rides like a Caddy compared to the LSS Elise here on the New Jersey roads". This has me worried now since I ordered the LSS:eek:

Mitch

#12 ·
last time i drove across louisiana the roads were as bad as any i have ever driven. curious if that is still the case.

randy, any comments on the roughest roads and ride quality?

#13 ·
I don't recall specific roads that were a problem, but I do know about 5% of the roads I was on, were uncomfortable.

Even driving around San Diego, I think the percent is still around 5%. Mostly when it's concrete roads.

I can certainly feel a jarring hit when I cross an expansion joint or bridge connection. But I can live with that. But when I travel on a road where it's trying to shake my fillings out, that gets annoying. If it so happened that those 5% roads were 90% of my daily drive, that would be unfortunate.

#15 ·
Guys, I drove over to our local autocross today to deliver some products (excuse!) and let people drool on the car. They let me take a couple exhibition runs.

Interesting it was.

Some thoughts-

1. Do not slip the clutch at 7500+ rpms. You have to dump it quick to light up the tires. :)

2. The car needs LSD. I think. I was having to carefully modulate throttle on corner exit so as to not have power-on-oversteer. When the cam change over happens in the corner, you have to be ready for it and it can upset the car if you are at the ragged edge.

3. Make sure those large flat screws that hold down your carpets are tight. One of mine came off and I have no idea where it went.

#17 ·
No, I did not even intend on running, just borrowed a helmet and took two runs. This was on the Yokohamas. I was aware that the Hoosiers would be different.

Next week we should do more intensive tire testing and it will be on concrete.

#22 ·
The other issue - now that I think about it is that the 48's usually take about a lap to get warmed up at the track. They can be very slippery the first lap if you push hard and the track is cool.

I guess this is where real auto-x tires have the advantage.

Once these tires are warm - they are really good - loads of grip for a "street" tire. I usually start the tires at about 22 cold up front and 23 in the rear.

Another issue could be your alignment from the factory. It could be off.

#23 ·
khamai said:
Randy & LAXers... AVOID the 710!

It doesn't matter what you drive, it hurts.
Hahahahahaha! I drive that poor excuse for a freeway every day on my work commute. After driving both sides roughly two thousand times now, I've memorized a route that gives the smoothest ride. Switch from lane to lane (when safe) to avoid a section of a particular lane when it gets bumpy. :D

#24 ·
LotusLust said:
last time i drove across louisiana the roads were as bad as any i have ever driven. curious if that is still the case.

randy, any comments on the roughest roads and ride quality?
Louisiana's roads are still horrible.

#26 ·
235home said:
Randy,

Any regrets or second thoughts about ordering the LSS?
Oh, not at all. In fact, I am more pleased that I did. Very happy with it.

I don't feel as positive about the Touring, but I do like the electric windows and frankly... I think the cargo net thing is really great. The rest of it... shrug. Maybe the insulated top will mean more in the winter. Oh wait, I live in San Diego. I can't really tell if my car is quieter or better insulated, but I guess it is. Wind noise at speed should be the same in both cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.