The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back last night from my long (short compared to your) 12 hour, ~800 mile trip back to Omaha from Austin/Dallas.

I really wanted to pull over ~200 miles outside of Omaha, and give up. I think i bruised my tailbone or something - it's a little achy back there. :D

Props to anyone who can drive their car for more than 10 hours straight, get out, and do anything productive.

We were planning a trip out to Mid-Ohio next year, but it doesn't look like i'm going to be taking the Elise anymore.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I recently met a gentleman who purchased a S1 Sport 190 (very thinly padded seats, very stiff suspension) in Boston and drove it to LA. He didn't see it as any big deal. Must have something to do with the anatomy! I know my a$$ would have been numb and sore for a month.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
My butt is comfortably numb?

I don't know. I am a bit stoic. :)

My tailbone really bothered me until I figured out that if I pumped up the lumbart bladder, it kept the tailbone off the seat.

My pain was the knee hitting the center console after 14 hours. The legs want to change positions and keeping the foot pressing the throttle after 16 hours started to bother me a little.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You guys are making me feel a whole lot better about my experience with MW's car.

And it's not just that misery loves company. :)

It means it's <b>not just because</b> I am ancient. :D

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
On the other hand, my pants never suffered a catastrophic failure due to the Elise.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>I really wanted to pull over ~200 miles outside of
>Omaha, and give up.

I realize everyone's different ... but personally I was amazed how comfortable the seat was on my 3,200 mile trek. I was even able to sleep in the passenger seat for 1/2 the trip while my dad took his turn driving. I never had any discomfornt, parts go numb, etc. Seat felt like it was made for my ass. :) Only discomfort was my knee which kept I leaning against the aluminum edge of the sill - ouch. Oh yeah, and the sunburn.

So ... folks who are waiting ... don't give up hope of a comfortable ride, it depends on your shape I think. You might get lucky! If not then do what my dad did ... bring a pillow to sit on :D
-doma

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
thats a long drive in any car i think...at least for me....
not saying i wouldnt do it...its just a lot of time sitting there

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Randy Chase said:
On the other hand, my pants never suffered a catastrophic failure due to the Elise.

:) :) :)
Oh yeah. These were relatively new hagar slacks.

When I got home I found a short sideways slit about in the middle of my left hip pocket. The pants rent from there along the bias up to the top seam of the pocket itself and also down for a total of maybe 10 inches. So something pierced the threads to start the rent. Probably the edge of a credit card that I foolishly failed to put back into my wallet properly.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
randy that was a pink something reference :D i drove 950 miles home and had a few ingress egress bruises but other than that it was comfy enough for the long drive. after a few days and figuriong out several methods for getting in and out i found ways that are non bruising. guess all the extra padding offers some comfort

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
doma said:
bring a pillow to sit on :D
-doma
Specifically designed to keep pressure off your coccyx.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My son and i drove 1000 miles to Bristol TN and back in two days with no (NO!) aches, pains, bruises or numbness. I might have had a sore ass if i left my wallet in, but I didn't. It went in the littel compartment next to the steering wheel. I don't understand you wimps....:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
I concur with Randy. My knee hurt hitting the center console. Once I put the seat further back it was better. For long drives it would be nice to have some temporary padding there of some sort. My butt adapted pretty quick and was ok after initial break-in. My longest stint in one day was about 8 hours, not like you marathoners.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i just did a trip to wi and my butt was sore for a week. along with my knee. i put on well over 3000 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
long drive??

i got my elise at lotus of san antonio in texas and drove it back home on a limited speed!!! about 10-12 hours per day x 2 days up to los angerles....how's that!!!:clap:my only complaint was my r ight knee started to hurt a lot..

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
WHAT.......???? You mean there's no cruise control ?? Thats it..... i'm cancelling my order.............................right.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Randy Chase said:
My tailbone really bothered me until I figured out that if I pumped up the lumbart bladder, it kept the tailbone off the seat.
You must not be a gurlie maan!

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
for one, my elise is really comfortable and feels like i'm sitting on a cloud (ok, she's not built but will be this month).

seriusly though, i do concur with an earlier statement that we all are different and will react differently to the car.

however, keep in mind this is a sports car and not a luxury coupe, and we're not getting this car for the "Corinthian Leather."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts