The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I'm curious how the car did, and how you guys are adjusting to the car. Some input regarding the suspension would be appreciated as I'm trying to decide on going with the sports or getting some Motons or DA's.

Karl (Asseily) mentioned the front tires were cording on the outside. What size did you get on there (205??)

Some times would be great, as I don't think you guys know the car well enough... YET.

Thanks guys, hope to see you guys soon.

Patrick Avakian

Randy-update us on your wife.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The car was terrific. Very well balanced with the Hoosiers, 205 front & 225 rear.
It could definitely benefit from adjustable shocks with the sticky tires on it.
No cording on the Hoosiers, not sure what Karl was smoking.
We'll be at Qualcom this Sunday.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Patrick, Robert and I posted a lot in the Solo forum. Look for the thread started by Robert.

However, some comments. We did not cord a tire. There is a pic that because of the cement dust and/or light, looks like something is wrong. It was not. The tires were fine, but we did not some higher temps and more wear on the outside corner of the Hoosiers. We also noted that they don't work well when hot.

We also tested the A048s against the Hoosiers. The A048s are a wonderful street tire and will work well for most applications. But they are still not a Hoosier and we were back 2-3 seconds on a 35 second course. PART of that is me insisting on driving the car like it had the Hoosiers on it. More finesse would have dropped some time. I kept feeling that the grip in the A048s was not there, so I was often "behind" in my steering inputs.

Robert and I both did a lot of 35 second runs, neither of us feeling like we extracting a lot out of the car. We both have a lot to learn. Funny, I don't normally feel that way in strange cars, but this was more like learning my shifter kart. It's a different animal. I finally got down to a 34.6 second run, and that was not a great run. Leslie in the Z-06 was doing some high 33s I think. So we were less than one second back. We definitely would have been kicking A-Stock butt with the drivers being talented (heck... everyone there were National drivers) such as Jason Isley in his C5 Corvette. I think it's a done deal that the car will be placed in Super Stock. There was one member of the SEB watching and paying some attention I think. A new car with drivers not used to it, with zero prep time, should not dominate a national level driver and car.

The question is, can we change some things to make it 1-2 seconds faster in Super Stock? I am not sure, but it seems possible. The car did somethings very well, and some others... maybe could use improvement. Always fun to experiment. I use the word fun... but I mean painful. :)

I think the looseness can be tightened up a little. Perhaps because we are running 205 tires on the front and 225s rear. It seems very possible to stiffen up the front bar, either by just moving the endlink attachment points in the stock bar by drilling some newer (closer) holes. Or maybe contact Saner Performance about making a custom bar for us. If I do that, and assuming it would fit, I would look at a hollow bar to reduce some weight.

It also looks like we might benefit from some more negative camber to help the tires work, specially up front.

Maybe some more toe in on the rear... but I will wait on that until other changes get made.

I think we were hitting bumpstops and that caused the car to act oddly. We are going to look into custom shocks from Guy Ankeny. This will mean a lot of shock dyno time and testing. This could take months for testing :eek:. It will also take a bit of money, which means it may not start that soon.

Wife will be getting surgery. Some good news and some not so good. I had to cancel flying off to Kansas and will not be scheduling anything for the next month or so that will not allow me to care for her. I hate missing nationals and showcasing the car, but stuff happens.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
lol..I typed that all up but was on a couple phone calls and finally hit submit.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Oh.... my take after all this? If you are a very serious player in Motorsports... even at the SCCA solo2 level.... LSS may not be for you. If you end up with custom struts, a set of racing tires, Hoosier rubber... than what did you need with the LSS?

·
Registered
758 Posts
So Randy, after all your testing, and hours behind the wheel, does the Elise meet your expectations ? And, entirely subjective, was it worth it (not just money, but the wait too) ?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Robert and I both did a lot of 35 second runs, neither of us feeling like we extracting a lot out of the car. We both have a lot to learn. Funny, I don't normally feel that way in strange cars, but this was more like learning my shifter kart. It's a different animal. I finally got down to a 34.6 second run, and that was not a great run. Leslie in the Z-06 was doing some high 33s I think. So we were less than one second back. We definitely would have been kicking A-Stock butt with the drivers being talented (heck... everyone there were National drivers) such as Jason Isley in his C5 Corvette. I think it's a done deal that the car will be placed in Super Stock. There was one member of the SEB watching and paying some attention I think. A new car with drivers not used to it, with zero prep time, should not dominate a national level driver and car.

Damnit Randy! I thought your instructions were to go really slow and get it classed in AS? :no: :p

As far as your wife, as you know I wish you both well and a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow, great info guys - one of the better posts on Elisetalk as far as info goes. :) ... making me rethink my LSS decision.

Randy, are the videos available for download?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I drove my Elise in an autocross with a self imposed 4000 RPM limit, very tight, bumpy course, LTS suspension and tires set at the stock pressure. Near 600 miles on it.

The car did well and is a "slalom king". Boy can it do slaloms and probably Chicago boxes. The course had no straightaways on this small lot. I came in ahead of a ZO6 on Kumhos and a few hundedths behind an RX7 TT also on Kumhos.

The car handles wonderfully! Wish I could have revved it more! No real vices to speak of, amazing brakes and great traction on bumpy surfaces.

But it seems to me that a SS rating may make the car very course dependent. Tight, lots of transitions and narrow gates, cornering all the time with few foot to the floor moments = Lotus time. Lots of power down sections and a few straights here and there and I wonder if the ZO6 will overpower it.

Although an Elise has been timed as fast as 4.4 0-60, that was with an 8000 RPM launch. I'm sure it's not that fast with a more normal launch. Whereas the Vette can light 'em up at will out of nearly any corner and you often can't floor one in an autocross if things are tight.

The Elise might be a hard car to classify. In two years there won't be any more new ones and the replacement Elise may be quite different in character. Then again the upcoming ZO6 with a 500 + HP big block and other stuff likely won't run in SS. ASP maybe?

BTW how did the AS vette guy do? He wasn't holding back was he...so that the Elise could wind up in a different class was he? (J/K).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
One problem is trying to keep the car in the cams on a normal course. This practice course was a little tight.. so it may not be a good representation.

You start in 1st of course, but getting to the cams (I think I did a 3500 or so start..small wheel spin) in 1st gear is in a blink and over in a blink. Then second is pretty wide. Then it's over.

We shall see more on Sunday on a normal course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Randy, Robert... thanks for the info sounds like there will be a learning curve to come. If time allows it (and money) I'll be jumping on the boat with you guys to develop the car(s) :)))

I'll start researching suspension set-ups and such over the pond.

As for the classing questions... I suspect the car will be in SS. No engine mods or springs will be allowed, however shocks are free... which begs the question, can you get a set of Motons to fit the LSS coil-over housing ??? and is that legal ???

This should be interesting.

Patrick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts