The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My remote door opener key thingamyjig (now you understand why I couldn't search the archives) has a range of about 5 ft from the drivers door.

About as much use an ashtray on a motorbike.

Is this usual, or do I need a new battery after 2 weeks?

Remotes for all other cars and garage door openers work up to at least 25/30 feet.

Do Lotus use a smaller hamster and teadmill to power equipment?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Mine is comparable, and I was equally surprised to discover this. Both remotes are pretty similar in range. My *guess* is that this is intentional, as there is very little audible feedback that the alarm state has been changed (just the sound of the door locks).

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Who makes the transmitter fob?

I had a "TRW" OEM fob from Mitsubishi that was just like this -- the metal key + my forearm had more reach than the transmitter. It was aweful, and it wasn't until I got a new car that I remembered how nice it was to have some Range -- being able to unlock the door for someone else running back to get something, double-checking if you locked it as you walk away.. that kind of thing.

I'm bummed to hear that the Elise is cursed with a limp transmitter too.

Oh I'll get over it, mind you.. oh yes.. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
atyclb said:
have you tried sticking the end of the key under your chin to increase range?
I did this with my Mercedes all the time (range was about 20 feet, but 50 feet with the chin). On the Elise, I don't know what to point. The fob is odd shaped and not directional.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I did this with my Mercedes all the time (range was about 20 feet, but 50 feet with the chin). On the Elise, I don't know what to point. The fob is odd shaped and not directional.
how about under your tongue? :crazyeyes

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Just tested this.

Usable distance was ~22'. From 15' on... the exact location made more difference...as in how you held it.

Holding it under my chin had little effect.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
atyclb said:
have you tried sticking the end of the key under your chin to increase range?
My friend did that one day when we were watching TV and the batteries on the remote were dying.

I thought he was nuts or had a metal plate in his jaw that was making it work, but then I tried it and it really does work.

Does it reflect off of tooth fillings or something, or does it just make your entire body act as an antenna? I held it against a metal belt buckle and this seems to work too.:confused:

The Brits are going to think we are really lazy.. Lard Assed Americans want a remote for everything and want a 500 ft range for it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The sensor is between the seats, I believe, so it's very dependant on where you stand. If you stand directly behind the car, it works better. If you stand to the side, with the "B" pillar between you and the sensor, then the range is minimal.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
xxxotic said:

The Brits are going to think we are really lazy.. Lard Assed Americans want a remote for everything and want a 500 ft range for it.
I think images of us Americans holding remotes under our chins and holding our mouths open to concentrate the waves will do that trick. :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My Elise is the same and my Range Rover also, 5' to 10' at most. You basically have to be standing right next to the door; however, on the Elise that is the best way to use the alarm FOB anyways to avoid having to disarm the immobilizer a second time.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Don't understand why you need range, as one of two things is taking place, a) you're just getting out of the car, close the door arm the alarm, b) you're coming up to the car, when reach the door disarm the alarm.
\
Or are we playing "phaser set to stun number one"??;)
Chris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Why did I read this thread? Who gives a crap? Sigh:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I have accidently hit the "Alarm" button for my Lightning inside my house and the truck starts horning & flashing parked in the street! OVERKILL!!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
James A said:
this key under the chin thing sounds like a snipe hunt!
Trust me, it does work on certain remotes. It can double the range.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Yeah, Under The Chin is for real, and I'm not inclined to believe such things without a lot of testing.

For best results, face the car, press the transmitter up under your jaw -- pushing kindof "into" your lower jaw behind the chin.

I picture the RF rays bouncing around inside my skull, reflecting off the back and converging into Lazer Beam Rays that shoot out my eyesockets, like some B horror movie..

I've been able to get unbelievable range this way, far more than just waving the fob in the air.

Ground "Retroreflector Skull" Loop

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Rob Ward said:
My remote door opener key thingamyjig (now you understand why I couldn't search the archives) has a range of about 5 ft from the drivers door.

About as much use an ashtray on a motorbike.

Is this usual, or do I need a new battery after 2 weeks?

Remotes for all other cars and garage door openers work up to at least 25/30 feet.

Do Lotus use a smaller hamster and teadmill to power equipment?
Some transmitters are built intentionally with limited range. The reason is to make it more difficult for thieves to clone your remote. With the extended range transmitters, someone can be far enough away that you would not give it a thought and they can use a radio receiver to receive and record your transmitter signal, code it into their own transmitter and use it to steal your car. A concept similar to the all-in-one aftermarket TV/Audio remote controls that "learn" the functions of the OEM one.

Some manufacturers use infrared beams instead of a radio transmitter becuase that beam is focused and does not radiate everywhere. With these you find you have to point it at the car, like a TV remote.

I don't know, but assume that may be the reason for the short range on the Elise fob.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I agree with ChrisB - long range remotes are too easy to clone. The real point of the remote is to avoid having to put your key in the door, and hence take less time and avoid scratching your paint. The concept of the key fob as a car finder is a dangerous thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts