The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch the 11 o'clock news channel 2 every night when I get home from teaching night class. Every night I see the SAME Range Rover commercial TWICE (You know, the guy jumps from a cliff with a parachute, while some jerk plays classical piano and the Range Rover takes the twisties like a sports car. I'm waiting for the parachutist lands in front of the SUV and plastered like a hood ornament, unfortunately it never happens:sad:)

Protraying an SUV as a sports car is annoying. It's kind of protraying an Elise as a great storage ability, carrying large capacity (people AND stuff).

The Range Rover is a great vehicle, for what it is designed for. But this commercial has got to be the worst. To show it over and over and over again totally alienates me from the whole thing.:huh:

What do you think?
I'm not attacking Range Rover. I'm just sick and tired of the COMMERCIAL!

.Actually the entire thread is annoying. The O.P. is annoying too. I'll try to convince him to leave.....:p

--Hal

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I

Protraying an SUV as a sports car is annoying.
You'd be surprised, it's quite good actually

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNVHE2ghEJ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNVHE2ghEJ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's FAST, though. I learned that when I was on a on-ramp and a SC Range Rover was behind my Elise! WOW!

Actually, what upsets me is listening AND hearing the commercial....TWICE....sometimes in the SAME commercial break! :eek:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Same could be said of a lot of commercials :shrug:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
For the record, its the range rover sport. And, it is quite fun to drive. I think it is trying to portray that driving the RRS is as exhilarating as base jumping/extreme rushes, and is also as soothing and comfortable as classical music in your living room, depending on what you want. And that is spot on. I don't think it trying to pass off as a "sports car", but more like, if you need an SUV, and are the driving enthusiast type, this is it. I don't know of any other SUV/vehicle that can seat 5 comfortably, all terrain, with dual climate, nav, and all the goodies and still give you a decent worthwhile thrill on on-ramps, or powerslides(the S/C version) all day, as the case may be. For what it is, its agility is without equal(baring new Cayenne which I have not driven)

Stop watching the news.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
I also detest that commercial.

First, comparing driving that tub to performing actual physical sports is absurd.

2nd, this is one of many car commercials that promotes aggressive driving, whether the car or driver can handle it.

3rd, IMO all Range Rovers are truly dumb vehicles. Horrid reliability, rotten gas mileage, nosebleed costs. Ugh. I have yet to meet an owner that didn't have lots of horror stories about the car breaking.

How people get suckered into these is beyond me.

It is true that I think 96% of all SUVs are truly dumb, the exceptions being people who off-road or tow. But, my distaste for these has been covered in other threads.

For snow, a mid-weight Subaru, Audi or similar would be much more useful, as they are light enough to get moving, turn and stop.

I get by with fwd easily, as the roads in winter are rarely actually snow-covered....maybe 1-2 days/year in NJ.

I'd want my primary car to be way more reliable.

sorry...but you asked my opinion.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There is a Honda Odyssey commercial that is much worse.

FWIW, I am now on my 5th LR product and it is my 4th Range Rover. Still no problems, glb. This one has gotten 19-20mpg over the 1st 2k miles.

I will admit that I have changed my driving habits somewhat, but it truly is more efficient than the BMW powertrain with the old 5 speed tranny.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
There is a Honda Odyssey commercial that is much worse.

FWIW, I am now on my 5th LR product and it is my 4th Range Rover. Still no problems, glb. This one has gotten 19-20mpg over the 1st 2k miles.

I will admit that I have changed my driving habits somewhat, but it truly is more efficient than the BMW powertrain with the old 5 speed tranny.
Teekster -

I am glad for you, but you are an LA (Lucky Anamoly). Are you saying that this one has no problems or that none of them did? The frequency of repair charts in Consumer Reports required a new black ink cartridge just to print the Rover section. I think the black line for the Rover line was "continued on next page":D

If I had a car that got only 19-20, I'd be very unhappy. Even my TT Supra did better.

Are you in a position where your Lotus is your most reliable car??rotfl

Just kidding. If you're happy, I'm happy for you.

- g

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sorry to disappoint. They have all been reliable. I currently do not own an unreliable car (knocks on wood).

BTW 19-20 is better than the 15-16 I got with the BMW powered Rover.

I still wouldn't drive one like the commercial for the RRS. That is what the Lotus is for.:coolnana:

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I haven't seen the commercial, don't watch TV, but I love my Range Rover. The ad sounds cool. I think actually someone this week told me I drive it like the Elise. It handles great, especially in sport mode, and the turning radius feels better then in the Elise. Also, it's cheaper to drive. You're only required to put in regular and I get better mileage out of it these days. I'm lucky if I can got 100 miles on a full tank out of my Elise. I get about 300 miles from the RRS on a full tank. I have had it for almost 3 months now and 0 issues. I don't see what could go wrong. Since day one of owning my Elise I've had a stuttering/stalling problem upon start up that the dealer was never able to resolve. I've had a bunch of other random/peculiar issues along the way too. The RRS comes with service paid for and roadside assistance so that's a nice bonus.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I think actually someone this week told me I drive it like the Elise.
That means that in the RR you alternate between applying and letting off the gas once per second as well?

You are aware the the Lotus has a smaller tank, right? And that it is not costing more to operate?

And one of these days I'll finally convince you that Range Rovers are horrible horrible vehicles and that there is a reason that consumer reports, past owners, and almost any other form of review says there among the most unreliable vehicles ever put on the planet. Ever. There are plenty of people here that can tell plenty of what the "could go wrong" could be. Which could be, basically everything. Why Ford dumped them to an Indian company after losing billions on them, after aquiring them from BMW who lost Billions on them, who got them from someone who was no doubt losing billions on them.

I'm not sure why that RR's are really the only vehicles on the road which I have complete and utter disdain for. I think it's mostly because of the types of people I usually associate with them. I owned an business in a very gold digger centric desparate housewife area, it was trophey wife cheating on her husband vehicle of choice. They are completely pointless vehicles, I agree with GLB. I also rarely see more than one person in one. Even today when I logged onto myspace there was a link to a vid of one of the Kardashian whores (the fat one, not the one with the amazing ass) from TMZ talking about her DUI charge and her 173 minute jail sentence. Her RR was of course in the background. Seems a requirement for all the Paris Hilton types to have one which since that is probably the type of people I have the most disdain for and always see with their RR close by, molds some of my admittedly twisted impressions about the brand.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
I haven't seen the commercial, don't watch TV, but I love my Range Rover. The ad sounds cool. I think actually someone this week told me I drive it like the Elise. It handles great, especially in sport mode, and the turning radius feels better then in the Elise. Also, it's cheaper to drive. You're only required to put in regular and I get better mileage out of it these days. I'm lucky if I can got 100 miles on a full tank out of my Elise. I get about 300 miles from the RRS on a full tank. I have had it for almost 3 months now and 0 issues. I don't see what could go wrong. Since day one of owning my Elise I've had a stuttering/stalling problem upon start up that the dealer was never able to resolve. I've had a bunch of other random/peculiar issues along the way too. The RRS comes with service paid for and roadside assistance so that's a nice bonus.
ATX -

It's mpg that counts, given that the tanks are unequal sizes. BTW, is something wrong with your Elise? I get 280 miles overall per tank.

Even if you're driving in heavy traffic, 10 mpg (approx 10 gal tank @ 100 miles/tank) is indicative that something is wildly amiss. (Cold start system, etc.) Are you filling it up when the tank is 1/2 -2/3 full??

I check mileage every fill-up, as a big drop tells me instantly that there is a problem. Perhaps it's time for you to do the same.

Rover: What can go wrong? Joking, are we?

Consumer Reports "Predicted Reliabilty" says, for example, that Hondas have 48% fewer issues than the average car.

Land Rover: 153% MORE. It finished LAST of all makes!

Cost to Own, Large & Luxury SUVs: Acura RDX $48k over 5 yrs. Range Rover, $98.5k. Yes, that is more than double.

LR3 problems: Engine cooling, Transmission (minor), Drive System, Fuel System, Electrical, Climate System, Suspension, Brakes, Paint/Trim, Body Integrity, Body Hardware, Power Equipment, Audio System.

There are 17 categories. LR3 did worse/much worse than average on 13 of them. Um....wow.

No thanks, for me.

-g

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
This guy loves his YouTube - rover73's Channel
Let me know if it gets to the point you need me to make giant lemon decals to parade it around on the flatbed like the artwork he chose.
Well at least they bought it back from him under the Lemon Law.

Even on the pro Range Rover message boards it's hard to find people that have much good to say about them. Every owner I've known has several stories of being left stranded. Several thousand $$$$ repairs. etc.

They "offroad" too lol in case they get out of a mall parking lot.
YouTube - Who said Range Rovers were good off road!!*-

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't matter what you say......Range Rover drivers are good parachutists and pianists! That's what REALLY matters!

--Hal

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had an RRS. It had so many problems that after the last time it left me stranded I got a 3,000 pound 2 seater instead. I don't recommend them unless you like looking like a douche on the side of the freeway in a 70k car. :no:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have a RRS. It's the perfect companion to a Lotus. (They actually have decent handling for an SUV.)

The biggest downside is the weight. They're close to 6,000 lbs! :eek:

Land Rover actually ADDS ballast weight to the Range Rover Sport. There are giant cast iron weights hanging from the rear. Don't ask me why.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Thanks, both were really funny.rotfl

I assume you didn't make the "Lemon" decals...

This guy loves his YouTube - rover73's Channel
Let me know if it gets to the point you need me to make giant lemon decals to parade it around on the flatbed like the artwork he chose.
Well at least they bought it back from him under the Lemon Law.

Even on the pro Range Rover message boards it's hard to find people that have much good to say about them. Every owner I've known has several stories of being left stranded. Several thousand $$$$ repairs. etc.

·
Registered
807 Posts
this is the typical range rover owner who doesn't have a clue what the little flaps next to the shifter are for.

i think my Range Rover (the big "proper" one as Clarkson says) has been more reliable than my exige :eek: But i'm not complaining ;) The "proper" one was developed and engineered by BMW; the new RRS which is essentially a reskinned LR3/Discovery was built entirely under Ford. Should tell you something.

I also don't like these RRS commericals. Especially ones that ask dumb questions.... "Have You Ever?" I respond "NO" and turn off the TV.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts