The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Priced to sell"

Talk about the ultimate redundant and overused statement in a for sale ad. Did anyone ever put something up priced to not sell? If it wasn't meant to sell, it wouldn't be up for sale now, would it? :rolleyes:

Sorry but this and the "finished in" in every HRM ad just get on my nerves. It's a CAR, not a freaking painting.

/rant off

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
How about "won't last long"?
The first time I saw that I asked them, what's wrong with it?

Is this website working right for anyone?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I run into things all the time that are not Priced to Sell. Items that are way over priced. But then maybe they aren't priced to sell to me?

My hot button is when something is listed as restored. In my mind restoration is returning something completely back to original condition. So I ask how can a 69 Baja Bug be restored? Or how can a 66 Elan with a Mazda rotory in the engine bay be restored?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
how about $ or best offer who would ever offer the asking price? why not say i'll take what ever i can get. carl

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about $ or best offer who would ever offer the asking price? why not say i'll take what ever i can get. carl
Another one is "For Sale" and then they link to the Ebay Auction :rolleyes:

For sale doesn't mean for auction.

·
Registered
485 Posts
"I dont really have to sell but if I get the right price" posts in the for sale section annoy me.

Either you want to sell or you do not.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Priced To Sell ??

I'm a Realtor.

There are three prices:

1. Priced to Get Lucky :eek:
  2. Priced Properly :clap:
  3. Priced To Sell :bow:

and several variations within each...

My 2-cents.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Perhaps reverse psychology would work then?

I would imagine "You absolutely do not want this. In fact, don't even bother viewing this listing." would raise some interest. :)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
One of my pet peeves is "must sell" or "has to go" on dealership (or any other business) ads. The dealership is in the business of selling these cars. They must sell them, or they are out of business.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
My peeve is in the WTB section...have you looked at how many "Looking for an Elise for under $30K (most recent is somebody wanting to pay onnly $27K)?

Nearly all also stipulate low miles, perfect paint, and oh yeah, hard top and touring options are musts....sport option is strongly preferred.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I don't mind "priced to sell" if the situation warrants it - but the one that drives me nuts is the new trend of people posting for sale ads and couching them as "feelers". Either they want to sell it or don't, and any time you're selling something it depends on what people are willing to pay.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I'm a Realtor.

There are three prices:

My 2-cents.
No, that was old-school realty.

Today, there are three different prices:
  1. Priced Fraudulently (i.e. Soon to Foreclose) :eek:
  2. Priced Properly (i.e. Not to Sell) :eek:
  3. Priced for Fire-Sale or Foreclosure (i.e. to Sell) :(

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
PS - back to car ads... my peeve is....

"SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY!"

The ironic part is that the people placing these ads usually aren't "serious sellers" (i.e. willing to entertain real offers) rotfl

What they really mean by "serious" is "stupid" or maybe "spendthrift", since they're usually fishing for uneducated buyers who will make an emotional purchase above market value. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'm a Realtor.

There are three prices:

My 2-cents.
It was a fad around here for some time to see listings: "Accepting offers between $2.1M and $2.4M." Like they wouldn't take $2.5M if you offered it. Right.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
It was a fad around here for some time to see listings: "Accepting offers between $2.1M and $2.4M." Like they wouldn't take $2.5M if you offered it. Right.
Sounds more like a concession that no one in their right mind would offer that much? :shrug:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Don't take it so literally. It's a marketing tactic to convey the perception of low, low price.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
PS - back to car ads... my peeve is....

"SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY!"

The ironic part is that the people placing these ads usually aren't "serious sellers" (i.e. willing to entertain real offers) rotfl

What they really mean by "serious" is "stupid" or maybe "spendthrift", since they're usually fishing for uneducated buyers who will make an emotional purchase above market value. :shrug:
What does that even mean?
I would never ever call an ad that said this.

I also hate morons that say low miles and what they mean is low miles for a car that's been driven for thirty or forty years.
I've seen 1928 cars with 20,000 miles on them.
That's low.

And what about dealers that lie about preowned?
Pre-owned actually has a meaning- owned and not driven.
A car driven just enough to keep it functional.
A 1970 exotic with a few thousand miles qualifies.
One with 20,000 does not.
It's a used car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts