The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the VIN numbers for either of the Esprit’s that were campaigned by Hyper Sport (Rapier Racing) and sponsored by Garrett? The cars were campaigned in 2004 with the team manager Kirt Wrightman. I am led to believe there were two Esprit’s prepared for the Grand Am series is that correct? Also, were the cars purchased new from Lotus USA or were they used? Were the cars body in white or regular production cars? I remember seeing one of the cars on ebay a couple years ago, but where do they exist today? I would be interested in any applicable information.

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Does anyone know the VIN numbers for either of the Esprit’s that were campaigned by Hyper Sport (Rapier Racing) and sponsored by Garrett? The cars were campaigned in 2004 with the team manager Kirt Wrightman. I am led to believe there were two Esprit’s prepared for the Grand Am series is that correct? Also, were the cars purchased new from Lotus USA or were they used? Were the cars body in white or regular production cars? I remember seeing one of the cars on ebay a couple years ago, but where do they exist today? I would be interested in any applicable information.

Cheers,
Alan
Alan,
Cars were build from production cars. You can find some background and photos on the GGLC website - GGLC SPONSORS GRAND AMERICAN CUP TEAM

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kiyoshi,

I have already been on the link you sent me, but thank you!

I was looking for more content than what presented on the web site.

Thanks Again!
Alan

·
Registered
320 Posts

Cheers,
Alan
I was offered the one that was raced in September 2008, as I recall the other one was never finished and was a shell with a chassis and cage.

It was expensive (to me anyways) 50k was the number being banded about.

Brian Skeoch knows Kirt Wrightman, PM or email me and I will forwards you his email address, he would know If the car is still around and for sale.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can give you Kirt's contact info as well. He did a lot of work on my car back in those days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Everyone,

I purchased thousands of Esprit V8 parts about a year ago and many of the parts came from the Rapier Racing effort. I have several engines with some interesting modifications and I was hoping to match up the race car VIN number with the engines. Also, I have an interesting UN-27 transaxle with a unique internal oiling system. I was hoping to acquire some additional history and additional perspective on the racing effort.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
209 Posts
yeah, I was on that team and brought the Garrett sponsorship. My brother in law was head of Honeywell which included Garrett, Fram, Bendix and all sorts of other car part makes.

the plan was to run the car all season starting with Daytona. at each event the sponso would change from Garrett to Fram, or Bendix and all of the other makes under the Honeywell umbrella.

team driver and partner of the team Zach Zarcadoolas died mid season and from that day on the team really never bounced back. the car had all sorts of issues at Daytona, mostly due to the super big Garret rollerbearing turbo's that my brother n law had specially made for the car. the car suffered from major heat soaking and the car would not refire in the pit. the engine produced a ton of power. the half shafts had an issue with twisting too which wasnt good. the deal was that Honeywell would sponsor them all year but we had to complete 6 or the 8 races that year and we only completed 2.

It was fun but after Zack died it wasnt as fun.. I have a poster of thecar on my wall here at work which I am looking at right now.

Brian Skeoch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts