The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after 4 months dormant, I took my 05 out for a small car meet in OC. Lo 'n behold, a unicorn, beautiful yellow Elise S1 was there. I had an opportunity to chat with a very nice gentleman owner, Dan, and his friend, Tony. He said it's a rare 1998 Factory Sport 135 with Rover engine and factory roll cage. Just simply an amazing engineering piece if Lotus history. We had a great time with Lotus shop talk. I mentioned Dan about the SoCal car meet and canyon run in May and to check out LT.

·
not your dad's puns
1,760 Posts
Oh baby... I think he brought that to LOG 35. I love the S2, but the S1 is what I dreamt about as a kid. Thanks for posting pix! :up:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh baby... I think he brought that to LOG 35. I love the S2, but the S1 is what I dreamt about as a kid. Thanks for posting pix! :up:
Dan, the S1 owner,, was a really friendly and such a gentleman to chat with all things Lotus and track driving. He mentioned that he will be in Folsom this year (in May?) for the West Coast Lotus Meet. I might have to find way to go to this one. Missed the Solvang event last year or so. It was a total pleasant surprise to see the S1 135 up close in such a pristine condition. He does track the car - just pure awesomeness, both car and owner.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are two of these in California. At least there were back in 2016. I met both owners on consecutive days at the track: one at Thunderhill, the other at Sonoma.
It was both seeing a great car and a great owner. Glad to have been there in person. I almost didn't feel like going to the small OC car meet that morning.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Great spot!
I'm pretty sure the yellow S1 is a Sport 190, not a Sport 135.
A batch were delivered as 'Track Only' to the US back in the day.
The Sport 190 has a VHPD engine with approx 190 BHP depending on ECU tune. To get there, induction required ITBs, large carbon air box etc.
The Sport 135 had a engine closer to stock Rover K, with a ported head & alloy plenum, single TB.

Thanks for posting the photos :)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great spot!
I'm pretty sure the yellow S1 is a Sport 190, not a Sport 135.
A batch were delivered as 'Track Only' to the US back in the day.
The Sport 190 has a VHPD engine with approx 190 BHP depending on ECU tune. To get there, induction required ITBs, large carbon air box etc.
The Sport 135 had a engine closer to stock Rover K, with a ported head & alloy plenum, single TB.

Thanks for posting the photos :)
I think you are correct. I couldn't remember. I probably asked him if it was a 135 and he responded it was a 190, more powerful sport edition. I was just happy to see it. Thank you for the correction and clarification. Don't know much and rarely see any S1 here. If Dan Krull (?), the S1 owner, signed in here, he can correct and enlighten us.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That is so awesome! Lotus of Bellevue, WA (Park Place Ltd) has the same car, same color and roll cage in one of their back show rooms. My son and I would allows pour over it when we are there for service. Great looking car!

·
Registered
983 Posts
The car has a dealer's plate on it. Likely it is not registered and is running under the dealer's insurance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts