The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOT MY CAR!

I saw this post on the local craigslist and thought I'd pass it on to the community in case anyone is interested. I'm not a big Europa fan, but this one sounds intriguing.

Craigslist: RARE! L-Block 1973 Lotus Europa Special 5 speed 25k Orig Miles!

By Appointment Only. Unbelievable RARE Find! Restored "L-Block" 1973 Lotus Europa Special 5 speed! 25,235 Original Miles!

I Have been begged to Vintage Race this for years.

This has the "R" vin for North America with 1 or 50 only Race Built Block castings by the Lotus Foundry! Over $16k spent on parts alone!(have all reciepts & pictures of processes!) Stage 4 Full Race Big Valve! Brian Hart Engine is probably worth $20k alone! This IS NOT the Renult powered version!

Too many improvments & upgrades to list here, But I will Attempt some.

*Purpose built Race Block. Thicker walls for upto 6 overbores, Heavier Stud Threads. *Front Engine Cover Modified to Cartridge Quick change water pump. *10,000RPM Full counterweighted Forged Crankshaft. *Cosworth light weight Pods & Full dome Hemi Racing Pistons with motorcycle thin Chrome Rings with Titanium pistons pins. *Hi-Output Race Oil Pump with swivel pick-up for 1g cornering any way. *Full Electronic Ignition with H-34 Indy Distributor. *Alu Ultra Light Lotus Flywheel with Titanium insert & Stainless gear ring. *Nascar geared Starter. *Ultra light Flex Clutch & Double Springed Disc. *Head Stage 4 Bean Engineering ported, polished 4 size over sodium filled valves, special double spring retainers custom ground Hi-lift short duration cams set at 106' intake 106' exhaust([email protected] 110' BTDC) * All Stainless headers, y-pipe & muffler tuned to this engine. *Custome built intake manifold w/V Notch for Hi-Speed Flow. 2 new DCOF 48 weber carbs with 6 Accelerator Circuits for perfect balance.

Have all the stock original parts. 2nd owner!

Mechanically, this car is a 10!

This car is beautiful, street legal and ready to go!

This is a Stop Light Terror! Not for an inexperienced wannabe.

Will be adding images.

Asking $32,500 obo

Serious inquiries only please...

Craig @ (phone number in craigslist advert)
Craigslist: RARE! L-Block 1973 Lotus Europa Special 5 speed 25k Orig Miles!
Best of luck to Craig on craigslist. (looks like he dropped his asking price 5K too)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I am sure, I have about $40k into my Elan, if not more :(
I think your asking price might be too cheap, perhaps even scaring people away :shrug:
But I've only seen pictures, and don't know exactly what the condition is.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Kestrel,
Saw your car when I was at Auto Europe. Beautiful!!! Love the idea of the Honda engine as well. Good luck on the sale. I was trying to talk my buddy into buying it from Dave when we were up there to pick up my car.

Krug1

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Kestrel,
Saw your car when I was at Auto Europe. Beautiful!!! Love the idea of the Honda engine as well. Good luck on the sale. I was trying to talk my buddy into buying it from Dave when we were up there to pick up my car.

Krug1
Umm.... It's a Zetec.........

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Craig's list car quotes 110 degrees BTDC on ignition fire. Thats not possible!:no:

Or did I read wrong:crazyeyes
I think it was written wrong. the cams should be timed for maximum valve opening at 110 degrees BTDC and ATDC. You can spend a lot of time setting the timing on the cams using offset keys to exactly position the cams relative to the crank (a simple <?>way to get maximum power at little cost and no downside aside from the time it takes to do the timing). A nice way to spend a day - just you, a couple of dial indicators, a pile of offset keys, and you twink - I know I spent too many hours getting it just right. :D

As for it being a special "L block", if I'm not mistaken, all Lotus twinks were L blocks. At least they should be. The block is a standard Ford Kent engine block. But they hand picked the blocks with the most "meat" between the cylinders and water passages to allow for a stronger engine (and one that could be re-bored more as necessary) for use with Lotus. Then they were stamped with "L" and the serial number - the "L" being for Lotus.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krug1 View Post
Kestrel,

Krug1
Umm.... It's a Zetec.........

My bad, I misheard and thought I was told it was a V-tech as in Honda...regardless of what engine it has in it, I thought it was a good looking car...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Well, thanks.......I'll take ya out for dinner if you sell it !! rotfl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts