The Lotus Cars Community banner

Rate your Repair skills

• Guru Level I know every nut and bolt and can do EVERYTHING

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Advanced I could do major work like clutch and major engine work etc.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Weekend Wrench I can do all fluids and bolt ons

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • Pocket Book Wrench I can't do anything and cut a check

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Time Issue I can do most of the work but don't have the time so I Pay for it

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Lotus reaching such a wide spectrum income wise I was curious how many people turn the wrench on their own car vs cutting a check. It seems like there is a good mix of both on this board. Reminds me of the MR2 board to be honest how there is so much diversity of skill sets.

So how many people here know their car nut and bolt and could do everything, how many are advanced and can do say a clutch swap/basic bolt-ons, how many are the weekend worriors and can do all the fluid changes from coolant to oil, and lastly how many just cut the check and have someone else do it. Now mind you if you have the capability to do the work but lack the time that's a different story.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I managed to change my exhaust after reviewing a write up here. These write-up are essential readings, so keep them coming :)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Repair skills are all well and good, but what's really needed with this car is the mad, stunna skillz required to install the bits this car is sorely missing, like TVs in the headrests.:coolnana:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I'm very mechanically inclined. I started taking things apart and putting them back together before I was 3 years old.

My 1st car was a VW bug -- I've had several. I rebuilt the engine with multiple modifications. I kept it alive for about 200K miles and did all the work myself except for breaking into the tranny.

I had an '85 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.8L GM engine... had to tear into the engine at just 50K miles. I've worked on other cars, including Dodge, Honda, Toyota, and a few others.

I recently helped my son rebuild the top side of an SR20DE he put into his 240SX... timing chain & tensioner, new cam, water pump, etc.

The B230FT in his Volvo 780 is currently torn down for new head gasket, timing belt, hotter cam, turbo swap, etc.

I've worked on several other cars. I've been working on cars for 37 years. I have accumulated a lot of tools. I don't really enjoy it as much as I once did.

I acquired the Lotus Elise service manual and read it cover-to-cover. I don't plan to do any major work on the car while it's still under warranty... just fluids and bolt checks. I doubt if I'll do anything more complicated than brake pads as long as I can take the it to an experienced Lotus tech who knows the car so much better than me and can do the work for a reasonable price.

Fortunately, the Elise seems to be very robust with it's Toyota drive train, lack of "frills", and use of durable components.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts