The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a followup up to the LotusTalk member poll regarding age, I am considering an anonymous poll on income.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54034

In the past, there has been some objection to the idea of doing so. I would like input before deciding to do so.

Here's my rationale for doing so: Age, gender, and income are three of the most commonly asked demographic questions. Although income is the most sensitive of the three, people are routinely willing to offer this information in anonymous polls.

Some of the most commonly asked questions by newcomers here involve income, such as "do you think I can afford a Lotus" or "what do you all do to be able to afford one".

It seems to me that most of us would be interested in learning the answer to this question, regardless of whether or not we consider it too crass to be asked in the first place.

What would be the reasoning for not asking the question?

There is always the question of whether or not we can trust the results. Will people be willing to answer it honestly? It seems to me that it is possible. 90% of the members here have owned a Lotus. We don't have a bunch of children here just hanging out and messing around.

Those of us who have driven an Elise or an Exige know that we are often perceived as a "rich guy". Many enjoy that perception and wouldn't want to burst people's bubble that one doesn't have to make a lot of money to afford one. Would it matter to anyone if we discovered that the average income among owners was "average"?

My thought as to the individual income brackets would be:
No income
Under 25k
25k-50k
50k-75k
75k-100k
100k-150k
150k-250k
250k-500k
500k+

What do you think?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
It's anonymous....go for it!!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I would add under $25k and over $500k.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
See no benefit in this at all muchachos!

Who was the Fuzz here on Dogpatch that kept on yapping about his pal's zillion dollar a year hedge fund thang? :rolleyes:

Damn.... THAT was annoying.

:D

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
YOU'RE THE ONE!!!

I have edited per your suggestion. My concern with providing a top end that is too high is that it invites jokers.
Just did a search for hedge funds and your posty popped up. My buddy makes $50,000,000 / year. :p

What is your fascination with cash anyway.... or more specifically any Hoople's income?

It does'nt really matter. Many have sacificed and some have not. What's your point Fuzz?

Lastly, you can never equate any sort of class with income, if that's your angle.

Weird.

:eek:

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is your fascination with cash anyway
My fascination is with the demographics and psychographics in general of Lotus owners. In the past, I have conducted a number of polls in an attempt to determine these things. Income is just a piece in the puzzle which I have avoided due to it's taboo nature.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Just do it. Those who don't want to respond will not respond.

But just remember that income does not necessarily reflect wealth. Wealth is also very important when determining what one can or can't afford. What if you just have a lot of money in the bank?

It also doesn't reflect expenses, but that's another story...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It's anonymous....go for it!!
+1

May want to add an "I don't know" option. Some of us are not sure how much (or little) we make. :shrug:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm in the Air Force you can look mine up, doesn't say how much the wife's making :p

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about unstable incomes? do you just want the last fiscal year? my income varies WILDLY month to month..
I think you would have to estimate an average range. This brings up an interesting point, because we have a few members here who have recently lost their jobs. I would consider this to be a temporary situation and think it better the respond with your usual earning range.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
[yawn]

sorry very sleepy today.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I'll just say I make less than anyone here (well except for maybe Robbie- but we are in the running for broke bastards of the board! lol)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I'll just say I make less than anyone here (well except for maybe Robbie- but we are in the running for broke bastards of the board! lol)
I am the one that asked for the under $25k category. :)

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
You're a regular lil' twenty-first century Margaret Meade I reckon!

My fascination is with the demographics and psychographics in general of Lotus owners.

In the past, I have conducted a number of polls in an attempt to determine these things.

Income is just a piece in the puzzle which I have avoided due to it's taboo nature.
Should be pretty self-explanatory if you really think about it. It's a $45,000 vehicle. :rolleyes:

As a long time Lotus owner, and I mean well over 25 years, I've been puzzled by this fascination with the status associated with present day Lotus ownership.

To me it's very silly and worthless.

This tiny Buzzbomb has created more of this than any other car marque I've ever been affiliated with. :confused:

Do what you will but what you hope to glean is a mystery to me Fuzz.

:shift:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts