The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car for almost a year now and this only recently started happening about 3 weeks ago. The rattling sound only starts after I've been driving around for about an hour and occurs when I slow down or start moving.

I was able to reproduce it by revving it to around ~1500.

The sound comes from what I think is the passenger side door sill. The rattle can get loud enough that when I'm in the car with the doors shut it sometimes sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, but with this car sounds can seem like they come from completely opposite sides of where they are. I'm a little hard of hearing in the left ear so also not entirely sure if I'm hearing things correctly, but it almost sounds like something whipping around in the door sill?

The other post I found mentioned a loose AC condensate hose. I though it could be this since it's Summer and I've been using the AC more than I have previously, but from what I can tell that doesn't seem to be the culprit here given the video below.

The other posts don't have videos of the sound so just going by people's writtn descriptions have been a little difficult to help find what the cause is.

Anyone experienced this?

Door Closed

Door Open

Near AC hose

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Definitely not the condensate tube. It sounds like metal on metal. Maybe try video from engine bay? It's almost like the emergency brake cable vibrating on belly pan. Are belly pan bolts on tight?
One thing in your favor it sounds like you can cause it on demand.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Woodpecker? Hahaha no seriously maybe the coolant hard tubes or the ac lines inside sill

Reactions: Jamie Dufour

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Two cheap ways to help isolate the noise:

Really cheap:
1. Long thin screwdriver placed on the area where you think the noise is coming from. Place the end with the handle on your skull just above you ear. Should hear local noises more clearly.

A little less cheap:
2. Pick up a mechanics stethoscope at the auto parts store. Follow directions enclosed with kit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woodpecker? Hahaha no seriously maybe the coolant hard tubes or the ac lines inside sill
Do those just come loose?

I just need to find some time now where I can take it out for about an hour and then hopefully capture some more video/audio of the engine bay area (after checking all the belly pan bolts etc)

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Do you have to pull you E brake way up to engage? If so you just might try pulling park way up when it starts it's rattle just to rule the cable slapping the belly pan. Good Luck!

Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it for a drive yesterday to see if I could further pinpoint the sound. Not sure why I didn't think to feel for vibrations before, but @StressCraxx suggestions for isolating the noise made me think to try to feel it out.

I can feel some faint vibration from the section of floor just in front of the passenger seat. I don't feel any vibration from feeling the side of the sill. (not my car in this photo, just illustrating the location).

Do you have to pull you E brake way up to engage? If so you just might try pulling park way up when it starts it's rattle just to rule the cable slapping the belly pan. Good Luck!
I don't believe so. I have to pull it no differently than the day I got the car and it doesn't seem to, but I'll have to give this a shot to eliminate it.

Sure sounds like undertray rattle to me. Very common. Try re-torqing the bolts in a different order, it can help.
Seems like this is my next step.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts