The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bolt in this picture is located behind the drivers side rear wheel of my 06 Elise. The bolt is completely tight, however the hole is slightly larger than the washer which is causing movement and a really bad rattle noise. Can I safely remove this bolt and put another washer on? I'm not sure if there's anything inside the two half pieces that I need to worry about...

Attachments

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
Looks like the heat shield for the U-bend. I had the same problem, ended up removing the shield entirely and I plan on using some heat wrap over the pipe instead.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yes you can remove this bolt and replace the washer or remove the heat shield entirely. There's a tab welded onto the exhaust that this bolt threads into. I've removed my upper and lower ubend heat shields. I may eventually wrap them with exhaust wrap but they've been fine so far without it.

Edit:
You can see how it looks without the heatshield in this pic I took w my clam off. You can see the 2 tabs on the top and bottom of the cat pipe (decat pipe in my case). The heat shield bolts into those 2 tabs on the top and bottom. Mine was wore out as well and rattling a lot.

·
Registered
903 Posts
yup - I removed my heatshielding too. Some people just removed it and moved on but I was worried about heat with the fiberglass rear behind the drivers side tire so I wrapped it with some autozone wrap. Works great, outside cool to touch.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
If your luck is like mine, when you remove the bolt to replace the washer the top half of it will break off and stay behind in the bracket on the exhaust and you won't have to worry about it. :) Haven't had time to drill it out yet..

Nice looking wrap job!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Be sure you can knock the O2 sensor loose before you trouble yourself with the 4 bolts. The sensor keeps the UHSOTP captive. Ugliest Heat-Shield On The Planet.

Have you seen how that thing looks when you run a naked rear? Ugh!!

-Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Here's another rattle source. I have the Euro rear panell. There are two reflectors with this kit. The left reflector got hot from the exhaust and melted a little on the back. It was not visual from the front. This causes the reflector to be loose on the bolt and rattle against the panel. I replaced the reflector and bolt. We're happy again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts