The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's driving me nuts...especially since I know I did it.

About 2 months ago, I put on a new exhaust. After that, on the occasions when the car starts rough, I'd get a rattle until the engine would smooth out but not a big deal.

This weekend, with in-laws floating in the pool and drinking my booze, I decided to change the oil, air filter and remove the diffuser because last time I was putting it on I had one of the nuts misaligned, it was late and dark so I skipped it.

Now, I've got serious rattles. Engine speed related. Most noticeable during coast down when coming to a light. Even though it sounds like its in the cockpit, I don't see how it could be since I did nothing there. Its clearly a metal-to-metal rattle.

3 questions:

1) I'm going to remove and reinstall diffuser this weekend. I'm thinking of putting a layer of velcro (just the soft side - I've got some good, industrial strength stuff laying around) at every point where metal touches metal. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking this "has to" cure the problem. And it will all be hidden. Any reason I shouldn't do this?

2) On the drivers side tunnel of the diffuser, there was clearly an area where metal was rubbing the diffuser. Bad enough that it actually looks close to rubbing through the diffuser. I trimmed back the heat shield and bent it. Anyone ever had this?

3) I'm wondering if I didn't install the muffler properly - as in it needs to be rotated one way or the other. If I rotate it down, it gets closer to the diffuser. If I rotate it up, it gets closer to the heat shield at the back. Do I want this "centered" or is it better to have it one way or the other?

Thanks guys....just looking for some thoughts on how to fix this once and for all.

Scott

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
I have actually had the drivers side diffuser mounting point you describe look pretty rough as well on both of my Elises. Who knows maybe they are all over tourqed on that side.TADTS I would not think the velcro would be in issue,just keep a watchfull eye on it if you do install it and be aware of the near by exhaust.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
I've never heard of that before.........

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Yellowvert,

I bought a 2009 Elise new. It has the stock muffler and I have never removed the diffuser. On my car there is no metal-to-metal rattle sound.

Could it be that the muffler is hitting something or that a clamp is loose?

Good luck, I hope you can sort it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts