The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I'm not accelerating, there is a rattling sound which seems to be coming from behind the passenger seat. I'm guessing it's related to the gearbox, because it goes away when I put slight pressure on the stick and push it more towards the gear - but comes back as soon as I let go. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and see what they want me to do, but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mike,
I don't actually have that rattle, things to look at would be that all diffuser bolts are tight also check your seat bolts, and check that your center console is snug as well (it will flex some)
Chris

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I have it.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I have a rattle/chatter sound that I noticed varies with whether I am accelerating. I know it comes from the passenger side, but haven't localized it any further - I will try the pressure on the stick to see if that makes a difference..... I just assumed TADT...

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The careful and interested enthusiast can get rid of a number of squeaks, funny noises, resonances and so forth with some detective work, a helper and a can-do attitude.

My car had a slight but irritating creaking sound coming from under the roll bar on the passenger side. It was the black panel under the roll bar rubbing on a portion of the body colored, vertical piece at the front of the roll bar cover. I removed the black piece and lubed it's edge with silicone grease and then shimmed the gap when reassembled with a piece of an old credit card. Noise = gone. There are lots of opportunites like that in the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i too have a bit of a rattle/chatter from behind the passenger seat when the car when steady state i mentioned it to my dealer at the sales service, not so much as expecting them to fix it, but at least to have a record of noticing it in case it gets worse down the road. i'm asssuming TADTS....

mine also has a high pitched whine that occurs around 5500 RPM or so, doesn't seem to do it as loudly now. again, i noted it at service.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
dp on roadfly removed the glow in the dark child escape handle from inside the trunk and apparently that helped in his case of a rattle coming from the back. Don't know if his happened under throttle or not.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Stan said:
I removed the black piece and lubed it's edge with silicone grease and then shimmed the gap when reassembled with a piece of an old credit card. Noise = gone. There are lots of opportunites like that in the car.
And soon the entire car is held together with used AmEx cards.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've got a nasty rattle in mine... at first I thought it was a throwout bearing, but now I'm not so sure. it comes and goes as I squeeze the throttle to different points... it's definitely affected by rpm... some kind of harmonic vibration?

Oh... by the way... I got my car! :) I'll post about it...

Cade

·
Registered
677 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
Turn the radio up, go faster, or get a sport exhaust and drive high in the rpms. :)
Does that make the flashing lights and sirens I hear fade away as well?

·
Registered
189 Posts
adamant said:
Are you referring to, what sounds to me like, chatter from the gearbox/drivetrain?
I've got that noise. Easily heard over the engine at cruising speed with top on. Happens with light or neutral throttle. But seems to be coming not from the engine compartment but near the middle of the car, can't tell. Pushing on gear knob has no effect on it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Charles Rozier said:
I've got that noise. Easily heard over the engine at cruising speed with top on. Happens with light or neutral throttle. But seems to be coming not from the engine compartment but near the middle of the car, can't tell. Pushing on gear knob has no effect on it.
Yep, that is the same as mine. It has either got slightly more pronounced or the engine is a little queiter now. Doesn't bother me though, it has that hint of straight cut gears.
It goes away when the second cam kicks in :p

·
Registered
189 Posts
Seems like this gear rattle/buzz/whine sound on light/neutral throttle happens on at least a few cars.

I've been trying to diagnose it further. I noticed that it doesn't start until the transmission is warmed up, maybe after 15 minutes of driving. Also FYI my Porsche shop says older 911's often have buzzing/vibration in the gearshift linkage caused by some part of the linkage vibrating against the chassis when excited by gear rattling/vibrations back in the transmission. It may or may not be affected by pushing on the gear lever.

Eventually, will do some Elise disassembly to look at shifter cables or parts that could contact the chassis. Meanwhile if anyone actually manages to fix this, please post about it, thanks.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts