The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My under tray rattles like a beast when I hit 40+ MPH. I am sure it is the under tray because when I remove it, the horrible metal on metal slapping sound goes away.

Ever since I've had the car (a few months), one of the bolts for the under tray has been missing. Specifically, the one closest to the passenger compartment, on the driver's side, in that row of three. That leaves a large portion of the tray loose enough to flap around. I tried to solve this by simply putting in a new bolt there, but the clip that it screws into is gone.

Can I get to those clips to put a new one in simply by removing the service tray in that area, the one that is under the gas tank, or is there some other way you can/have to get to the clips?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Mike,
I don't know about your car as to how it is set up however on Esprits they used 'bobbins' set into the fibreglass. Over torque these or after removal and install these would strip out.

Most of mne were gone on my Esprit so I did this:

Hardware store had these threaded 'nutserts' requiring three rivets to hold in place. I inserted the 'nutsert'' through the original hole and rivited it into place. Now I have a sound fixed mount to screw the tray bolts into place without the bolts falling out.

Robert

·
Registered
225 Posts
I fixed a rattle like this by adding a foam strip on the frame cross piece above the undertray. The undetray is meant to be a short distance from the frame but a resonance can make it vibrate and touch the frame.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I feel stupid. The under try was rattling because I had it on upside down!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The PO had the tray upside down on my car as well... plus held on with drywall screws, coat hangers and various other screws (what the heck?!)

I just replaced it all with 1/4" clips and bolts from Lowe's, total cost of maybe $25. It wasn't worth the cost or hassle to get parts from Lotus or even metric parts... provided it works as it should I really don't care if it's OEM or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts