The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a slight rattling from the engine bay of my 2000 when the engine drops in revs from startup. I'm assuming the rattling starts when the engine begins to vibrate more at lower idle speeds. I haven't been able to get it on a lift for inspection but was wondering if anyone had a similar issue. I'm wondering if it might be the A/C compressor clutch housing? The A/C works fine but the rattling does not go away when A/C is turned on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Go for the easy items 1st such a heat shielding or loose sheet metal parts. Like exhaust or cat parts.
I had a rattle at lower RPMs on my V8 for a while right around 2000 RPM, and it was the bottom lip of the rear diffuser vibrating against the rolled lip of the muffler. Loosening the muffler clamps a bit and shifting it slightly to increase the clearance helped. I ultimately also stiffened the lower lip of the rear diffuser near the center (I have a late model center exhaust) since the diffuser was awfully floppy. Stiffening just entailed a piece of metal rod placed in the lower lip of the diffuser and secured with a couple dabs of sealant. In my case it was easy to see that this was the culprit because of the wear mark the diffuser lip and muffler lip were making against each other.

Knut

·
Registered
677 Posts
Meh.. mine does that too.. I suspect it's some heat shielding or exhaust pieces.. It only does that at idle ~950RPM and it's not at idle very often..

so I chalk it up to :tadts:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,423 Posts
The OE V8 side-tip exhausts were prone to breaking (and would rattle when that happened).

So, yeah, :tadts:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the retro-fitted JAE center exhaust with straight pipes. I'll look to see if there's a diffuser or shield near the pipes although I don't recall seeing one when I replaced the injectors. The noise sounds more like a loose washer.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Meh.. mine does that too.. I suspect it's some heat shielding or exhaust pieces.. It only does that at idle ~950RPM and it's not at idle very often..

so I chalk it up to :tadts:
Yeah, same here. Had to re-weld a bracket on my centre exhaust tips. The rattling drove me nuts! There's still a heat shield somewhere that resonates at around 1000 rpm, but the exhaust noise helps to mask it. :D

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Spoke with the guys at a local performance shop. They think the noise is coming from up front and is possibly a cam tensioner pulley.....worn bearings.
if that is the case DO NOT DRIVE IT!

·
My car sneezes
669 Posts
Have you checked your exhaust manifold heat shields? Strum them and you will know. If so, sometimes a larger washer can act as a temp repair.

If it is a tensioner, it could also be your serpentine belt tensioner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Used a remote scope to inspect and found a missing RH rear exhaust manifold stud and nut missing. No leaks from visual. There's a metal strip that acts as a washer and locking mechanism and I'm going to check to see if this could be the source of the noise. It looks like it would vibrate against the header to generate the type of noise I'm hearing. I'll hold scope there with engine running to test.

·
My car sneezes
669 Posts
Missing exhaust manifold studs are common. While not good, there are usually not the cause of rattle unless the locking strip is vibrating against something.

I'd still check the manifold heat shields like Jim said.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got the car up on a lift and still could not find the source of the rattle. It's not that noticeable but there. The only heat shield I noticed was a molded silvery material mounted to the sides of the engine bay but didn't see any nuts or bolts holding it in place. Could it be engine noise?

Wayne, if the source is the a/c's 3 arms wouldn't the noise stop when the clutch is engaged...i.e. when a/c turned on?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the pics! I didn't see them earlier but using the scope, the nuts seem to be on securely. I bought a 1.5" dia. plastic flex tube from HD and i'll try to pin point the source that way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.