The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone point me in the direction for instructions on how to re-attach the gear knob gaiter; more accurately the removal of the aluminium centre console surround that it is attached too.
Lotus replace the whole unit, that is IF they ok this as a warranty issue, can't see that happening. if it is replaced i am convinced i will have the same problem later down the line. i am therefore quite willing to save Lotus money( which i hear they need every penny) and re attach the gaiter more securely than the original.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
neil:clap:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The console is attached by 5 spring clips, one at the back end and 2 each in the center and the front end. It is best to push it up starting around the gaiter, and using a plastic lever on the outside.

Just be careful not to slip off or bend the aluminium. Also, the the clips will probably fall off into the console, getting them out is a pain in the a**.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The console is attached by 5 spring clips, one at the back end and 2 each in the center and the front end. It is best to push it up starting around the gaiter, and using a plastic lever on the outside.

Just be careful not to slip off or bend the aluminium. Also, the the clips will probably fall off into the console, getting them out is a pain in the a**.

Gently but firmly pull up on the console by putting your fingers inside the hole left by the gaiter coming off, taking care not to bend it. The clips do fall off and I used a magnet on a stick to retrieve them. I reattached my gaiter using double sided tape and then also used strong duct tape after reattaching the gaiter to try to stop the damn thing coming off again.

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
Only thing I've given up on is the gator. Won't stay attached. When someone gets a definitive solution, I'd love to hear it

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Only thing I've given up on is the gator. Won't stay attached. When someone gets a definitive solution, I'd love to hear it
That's strange.
Dealer fixed mine 2 years ago and has not detached again.
I would think a good quality contact trim cement should do the trick :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've just used Bostik extra strong all purpose. used this many times and once set have never been able to budge it. of course as suggested by TBD EVORA one of the clips holding
the console did fall off into the gearknob well and has been eaten, or is doing its best to hide!!!!!! ordered a new one no problem. at least i now have the gaiter sorted. thanks for all you help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts