The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: Gas Additive for Protection?

Can anyone recommend a gas additive that will protect the fuel system and engine from gasoline sitting in a tank for months at a time? I'm not looking for an octane booster, but rather something that will protect components from potentially harmful moisture that may build up in today's ethonal gasolines.

Some of the top options I have been reading:

1. Do Not Add Anything.
2. Amsoil Quickshot Fuel Additive.
3. Redline S1 Fuel Additive.
4. Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner.

Thanks,
vincesf

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Stabil. I've been using it for many years. Works perfect.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Stabil is very good. Available at most auto parts stores.
Sea Foam is a second choice, Available at many auto parts stores

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Stabil is the standard for fuel preservation. The others you mentioned are cleaners not preservatives. If you burn a tank/month you're fine, otherwise use Stabil. I store cars for winter with it every year.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Don't use ethanol gas? :shrug:

Dunno how it is for everyone else, but all we have is straight gas, no ethanol mix.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
I had heard this from the guys at PepBoys:

Marine Formula STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment & Performance Improver contains DOUBLE the corrosion preventers and more than FOUR TIMES the fuel system cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL to prevent against corrosion and deposit build up in Marine Engines.

Here is their 411 on Ethanol.

http://http://www.goldeagle.com/mobile/411_on_ethanol.aspx

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
So does everything I own and I don't put anything in the gas. TADTS I have quite a bit of seasonal equipment that just gets parked. Some of my mowers might sit a year or two before used, same with snowblowers, gen set, etc.

I'm glad we don't have the ethanol gas, I have heard NOTHING good about that stuff.

My yacht will sit for months and fire right up and run with no problems.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
What is you concern? With a modern fuel system very little moisture can enter the fuel system from the air as it is virtually sealed for emissions. Additional ethanol in the fuel will actually increase the capacity of the fuel to absorb water without phase separation. In any case, due to the chemical equilibrium of the water absorption from the air into the ethanol in gasoline, the process occurs much more slowly as you near saturation, never actually reaching phase separation. Liquid water is another story, but I assume that it is not a concern.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts