The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dreaded wiped cam issue on my intake and am working on installing BOE's aftermarket cam. I am working on putting it all back together now, but I cannot get the exhaust cam sprocket to line up enough to go on. Any tips? Or is this a sign I screwed something up?

I have the chain on the intake sprocket and lined up. I line up the marked tooth on the exhaust sprocket with the chain and it looks lined up with the pin on the exhaust cam shaft. However, I cannot get it to actually slide on. Its as if there is not enough slack in the chain to move it the very small additional amount to get it to slide on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did mine two years ago so my memory is a bit shaky. But at the point where you are, the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is supposed to be at TDC, yes? I wasn't able to get the chain on the exhaust cam at all when I got to the point you are at, and was ready to have her towed to the dealer. But then I thought to see if the pulley had moved, and it had. I put it back to TDC and was good to go. I am sure my neighbors are still wondering about the exclamations emanating from my garage that night. Hope yours resolves as easily!

You know how to pull the chain tensioner out to reset that?

And did you unlock the VVT hub before torquing it onto the intake shaft?

I need to do mine again and will get the BOE camshaft too. Where were you able to get the stock rockers?

Kevin

·
Registered
131 Posts
P.S. The dots being uneven rings familiar and I think they are as they should be. My chain was way further off than yours. Still not sure how it had moved. Where yours is so close, I expect if you have a friend try to slip the chain on while you are under the car slightly moving the crankshaft pulley back and forth a hair you'll be off and running.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. Kevin, your issue sounds the same as mine. I was also beginning to invent new expletives as the exhaust side was so close to going on, but not quite. I'll try readjusting the crank today. It does look like it may have moved as the intake cam is rotated some from where I started when the chain is tensioned on that side.

Chain tensions is currently removed and I will reset before it goes back in. Hopefully that's not too tricky.

I was able to unlock and reset the VVT after a few attempts of messing with it.

Monkeywrench racing carries stock rockers. They arrived in 2 days. `

The job has been fairly easy until it was time to reinstall the exhaust sprocket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success! Rotating the crank a bit worked and allowed the exhaust cam sprocket to pop right on.

Now I am just trying to confirm that the hook released from the chain tensioner. It's a bit tight to see down in there. How far does it take rotating the engine counter clockwise for it to typically release?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't think you need to move it much to make it spring. I recall hearing mine. I also recall I could sort of see what was down there with a little telescoping mirror.

Glad the tip worked.

What are you planning to aim for on the valve lash?

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Phil, when you say lash is good out of the box, do you mean within a range? I am assuming the new cam won't be identical in all respects to the old cam (is that a wrong assumption?), so the lash could be different from what you started with. I thought changing the shims was the hardest part and would be happy not to do that step again. I have 14 on my intakes now (OEM cam).

Are you supposed to soak the new cam in oil before installing? I used lots of assembly lube but that's it.

I'll be ordering a cam from you shortly!

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally had time to work on the car again today. Turned the crank counter-clockwise a few more degrees and I heard the hook release. Turned crank clockwise and it was clear the ratcheting mechanism was moving as the chain tension was set. I had tried turning it clockwise previously when I made my last post, so I suppose its possible that spinning it forward and then back again may have helped the hook to release. It was very obvious from the noise when it did release.

1 week until LOG!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts