The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: UniKey options? Who's interested?

Hi guys,

I own 06 and only thing I really dislike about my elise is that key is butt ugly!

I'v looked at couple of options on the market,

There is BWR unikey option and CNC machined one from someone( I dont think it is being produced anymore) and nothing else.

BWR key is great and simple but lacks sophitication in my opinion, CNC one is the one I like but not being produced anymore.

I'm looking at different manufactures to see if they can create something like aluminium machined unikey like that.

Would like to know how many of you will be interested in those?

once we have a list, let's talk about design ideas and etc.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't think anyone would dislike more key options.

To add to your list of possibilities SirLotus also sells a nicer-looking plastic Cobra fob with a Lotus roundel in it - it's still plastic and doesn't really feel like luxury, but it at least doesn't look vaguely like truck nutz.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
I have 2 of Randy's NuKey design and like the simplicity of it... Though some have complained about the button placement due to their dreaded "fat finger" disease :eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
MPO, I'd like to see a switchblade type key & fob. I'm not a fan of 'typical' car keys, especially when made larger by integrating the fob to it...

mmmm, CNC brushed (or black) aluminum switchblade frame & real carbon top & bottom w/ rubber nubbed 2button -eek-

12+ys of Audi has made me bias... Luckily I found an 'Audi' type switchblade fob that works on my Ford.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
especially when made larger by integrating the fob to it...
The one I designed is not significantly larger than the key it replaces and certainly smaller than the fob. The other competing one is twice the size.
p.s. Mine is also CNC machined and then anodized.

Attachments

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
+2 :up: The Nukey suits the Lotus!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The NuKey is great (BWR / Randy apparently). I love the anodized finish , and you can always get the bottom made in carbon fiber. I had a custom sized black/ silver Lotus logo made to go on the back of mine. Now for a nice keychain...

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Yeah, to be clear. I designed it with a lot of help from Matt G (ex-Lotus guy also). I then transferred the rights to BWR. I just like designing stuff. I have no financial interest in the key now.

But I do have an emotional one. :)
  • The buttons are right. The larger one activates the fob. NOT the smaller one which makes no sense to me.
  • It is almost sucked down in 3D around the electronics. You can't make it smaller.
  • But we specified high grade CNC aluminum and hard anodized it for strength.
  • No protruding screw heads.
  • The buttons are the shape of the Lotus logo.
  • The ring attachment is the shape of the camshaft lobe, intentionally
  • No thicker than the original key or the original fob.
  • Less weight means less stress on the ignition cylinders.
  • Less size means easy to fit on your ring, in your pocket, and less chance to hit it with your knee

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I got one of the first nukeys. It's awesome as it works well and is as small as it can be. Fwiw I've had no issues with the buttons and it's worked flawlessly since I got it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a nukey2 also. Love the size and lack of weight. Although I have to say its harder to use than the OEM fob. for some reason since I switched to the Nukey its very difficult to aim the fob in the right place to get it to unlock the doors.

I dont drive the car every day so its not a big issue. I'm not sure what the actual cause of the issue is (i used the same internals from the old fob which were working fine before I switched them over).

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have a nukey2 also. Love the size and lack of weight. Although I have to say its harder to use than the OEM fob. for some reason since I switched to the Nukey its very difficult to aim the fob in the right place to get it to unlock the doors.

I dont drive the car every day so its not a big issue. I'm not sure what the actual cause of the issue is (i used the same internals from the old fob which were working fine before I switched them over).
The problem is it is surrounded by aluminum. I'm guessing the original design had aluminum all over instead of Delrin, but the signal was blocked. Place it under your chin discreetly and it gives you extra range. Unless you have a metal plate in your head... then placing it there helps you pick up channel 5.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts