The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so last week at the track, I lost a front fender liner at relatively high speed. During that process, it severed the wires for the front side marker light, the one that is in front of the front wheel (2005 Elise).

I have both parts to the connector still, but it looks like the wires were yanked out of one side.

I took the rubber seals out of the holes as shown and I can obviously insert the wires in there, but how do get some solder inside? Or does the whole connector come apart or does the connector crimp onto the wires somehow?

Sorry, totally noob at electrical stuff.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
They are "weatherpack" type crimp connectors. There are male and female connectors within. There is a tool that looks like a piece of small diameter tube with a handle that one uses to remove the crimp pieces from the assembly. The crimp pieces are sized by wire gauge used. Do not solder the connectors. The wires will break from vibration or motion where they have been soldered.

Pieces available:

Or:

Connector removal tool:

Crimp tool from Amazon:

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@StressCraxx awesome information, thank you! I have a crimp tool but not the terminal removal tool, though I think I have something similar so I'll see if it works before ordering one.

Is the existing connector that I have able to be reused assumine I can get the terminals removed from it and re-crimp them onto the wires? Or should I replace it?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a few dozen of the connector sets because I use the same connectors when I fabricate my LED tail light kits. PM me and we can talk tomorrow so I can get you the parts and make sure you have the correct crimping tool. It does take a special one.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Here is a picture of the 4th brake light

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
@chiarov your replacement pigtail is on the way in tomorrows mail. Red goes to the orange on the light and black to black. Glad to help and good luck.
Fred

·
Premium Member
12,090 Posts
PS:

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
744 Posts
PS:

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.
Just to add to this, put a dab of epoxy/jb weld on the insert before squeezing in. It help in case the squeeze isn’t good enough and keeps it from spinning inside the hole in case it decides it wants to try and spin.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@RapidLotus thank you so much for the help! I'm pretty ok in the garage but electrical stuff is not my strong suit. I should be able to do a simple solder and heat shrink on that pigtail though. Thanks!

Ordering some a rivnut tool and some "jack nuts" as mentioned in my other fender liner WANTED classified ad. Thanks for the recs!

·
Premium Member
12,090 Posts
Just to add to this, put a dab of epoxy/jb weld on the insert before squeezing in. It help in case the squeeze isn’t good enough and keeps it from spinning inside the hole in case it decides it wants to try and spin.
Good.

On a group drive to a LOG, one member lost a plastic screw. I carry well-nuts and often give them to ppl in need. This guy tho was not quite handy. He complained that the entire well-nut was spinning, clearly not understanding how they work or how to hold the damn thing when first installing it.

Go,as they say, figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts