The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've changed my oil again this past weekend and i don't know if it's just me but i always have difficulty reading the dipstick. i don't know if it is the angle the dipstick is at when you try to pull it out for a reading but the oil on it seems to be so blotchy.

how are you guys doing it?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm doing fine... even under low light they seem to be ok to read.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm assuming that you mean that it's difficult to see the new clean oil on the dipstick - this has been discussed before.

If that is the case, there is an old trick. Pull the dipstick out and set it on a clean paper towel in your hand (you're going to need it to wipe the stick anyway). The oil will seep from the dipstick onto the towel, and you can easily see where the oil level is on the towel next to the dipstick.

It's something gas station attendants used to do way back in the old days when they actually pumped your gas and checked your oil...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had the same problem with mine and I cross-hatched the bottom between the marks with an awl and a straight edge on both sides. Makes it much easier to see the oil level when you pull it out.

Jim

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming that you mean that it's difficult to see the new clean oil on the dipstick - this has been discussed before.

If that is the case, there is an old trick. Pull the dipstick out and set it on a clean paper towel in your hand (you're going to need it to wipe the stick anyway). The oil will seep from the dipstick onto the towel, and you can easily see where the oil level is on the towel next to the dipstick.

It's something gas station attendants used to do way back in the old days when they actually pumped your gas and checked your oil...
actually that's not what i was talking about. i can see the clean oil but it seems like it gets smeared so i can't get a good reading.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
actually that's not what i was talking about. i can see the clean oil but it seems like it gets smeared so i can't get a good reading.
Pull the dips stick out. Wipe it off. Stick it back in and quickly pull it back out again. You should get a good reading. Sometimes I have to repeat the process several times to get a good reading - and it's not just limited to the Elise.

If after doing all that, it's still smeared all over the stick, you're going to have to wait for the oil in the tube to flow back down so it doesn't smear on the stick as you pull it back out again.

Not much you can do about that... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It's all depends on what dipstick your car has.

There's a Touring dipstick and a Sport Pack dipstick.

The Touring dipstick is more comfortable to use where the Sport Pack dipstick is more precise and direct.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

The Touring dipstick is more comfortable to use where the Sport Pack dipstick is more precise and direct.
Just asking for it are you?... :thwack:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

rotfl yeah its a '08 feature.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
So, I feel like a dumbass, but since my last service (oil change) at the dealer, I can't pull the dipstick out so I can't check the oil. Before I call or drive to the dealer, I thought I'd ask here, am I missing something? Yes, I'm female, but I'm not dumb and I have checked the oil before.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
So, I feel like a dumbass, but since my last service (oil change) at the dealer, I can't pull the dipstick out so I can't check the oil. Before I call or drive to the dealer, I thought I'd ask here, am I missing something? Yes, I'm female, but I'm not dumb and I have checked the oil before.
Did you try twisting it a bit as you pull?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Yup, I twisted in both directions while pulling. I was rocking the car I was pulling so hard. So, I swallowed my pride and called the dealership. The associate put me on hold while he went and talked to Ritchie. When he came back, he was laughing on the phone and said, "are you sure you are pulling the right handle? It should come right out." I replied, "Dude, it's the only yellow handle." "Okay, why don't you stop by." So I drove the 45 minutes to the dealer and Tom comes out to give it a pull. He also rocks the car as he's tugging away but it doesn't budge. He then called for Richie. He comes on out, and throws an arm under the hood to pull on the dip stick. Nothing. He rearranges his body positioning and tries again and doesn't come back up till he's got the dip stick. Ha Ha! He looks at it and says, "well, there's your problem; the oring is dried out." There you go, I had a dried out oring. He lubed it up, checked the oil for me, and sent me on my way.

I still feel like a dumbass though for having to go to the dealer to have my oil checked, lol. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts